sr125 engine help --metallic oil -

rg123
This post is 2770 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi all ,just picked up a sr125 for my Gf bought cheap as spare repairs.

Put a battery on it and i has a clunk when turning over..def not wanting to start.

Gave it a quick compression check showing 80psi

Took cover off oil filter and it is covered in thick mettallic paste so something in there has been grinding away.

My question is where do i start looking, obviously its a major .are there common faults on these bikes? If it helps the girl we bought off said it was running fine and she sold to some young guy who took off down the road then turned up half hour later saying it had stopped running so she gave his money back and sold it off for nought

Any guidance or ideas on my next move appreciated.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Dont sound good. Full strip down to find the witness marks and go from there or if you only paid pennies buy a second hand engine. Its a case of how far you want to go and how much you are willing to spend. Migh even be worth dropping a cheap clone engine in if all you want is steady a way hacking

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like top of cam chain guide broke off, cam chain has worn a gouge out of the side of the casing from the head to the base.I have the sides off the when i took off stator side i found the flywheel was loose... theres evidance of past damage to head, valves and cam seem ok.next problem is the siezed/rounded oil drain bolt.. can i try flush out the bottom end with diesel or something or what checks do i need rather than opening the crank cases?