virago 1997 plate

Sharonb
This post is 2741 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

hi

my virago 535 should be ready for me to purchase within the week.

I went from a sr125 t reg to a ybr 250 2010 plate, but I find the ybr a pain to ride even though being younger its reliable. So moving on up to a virago 535 as I can touch the floor and the weight is easy.

I have two questions baring in mind I commute on the bike as well as ride for the joy if it too, so reliability has to be sought. (bit worried about going to a 1997 plate for that!). However, I was thinking of getting heated grips and hazard warning lights fitted for those cold winter nights in rain etc filtering. Would this bike be capable of having them fitted and then powering them without the battery suffering.

I also want to fit two small headlights on either side of the main headlight. Haven't found a source for these yet but found someone selling the bars. Does anyone have any likely places I can find these?

I also want to fit brake/clutch levers that are scalloped inwards to make it easier for me to reach. The garage where I am buying them said no way can you get these but I am sure I have seen them on other bikes. Any ideas.

any pointers welcomed. I am not technically minded so will purchase the parts and take her to a garage to fit. But I need to know if these changes would be effective before paying out for them, or if an older bike like this won't cope.

I have ideas to change more of her but these are my first important ones.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

535s have a good reputation for reliability. Its the finish you've got to look after. Before winter, seriously consider a thorough wash, dry, and a going over with ACF50 (or another similar corrosion inhibitor thats as good)

Places like Custom Cruisers supply spot lamps etc plus the mountings. There is no shortage of suppliers for this stuff.

As for the electrics, I would be surprised if heated grips/spots etc did not overwhelm the poor little battery in no time. I have ridden through every winter for the last 8 years on 125s, 600s, and a 750, and winter riding in the dark, and cold starting, takes its toll on the battery. I actually had 2 batteries for my yx600 and swapped them every week, then put the spare on trickle.

• Like 1

Just ordered a pair of these for my V Star 1100, but they haven't arrived yet so can't comment. They only use 5 watts each, so won't take anything out of your battery.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/222211306963?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Received the above lights a couple of days ago. Excellent & well finished. Machined aluminium and a very bright light. Recommended.

Also for anyone interested, strobe stop lights, fitted in 15 minutes inside the rear lamp cover. Derisory price of £1.40!!!!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/201562727306?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Easily fitted with one snap connector like these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/QUICK-SPLICE-SCOTCH-LOCK-WIRE-CONNECTORS-ELECTRICAL-CRIMP-TERMINALS-CABLE-SNAP-/200995966830?var=&hash=item2ecc4b0f6e:m:mo72eqYlLRJxLJzptlPHt4Q

It's not necessarily what's going out the battery, it is how much is going in to keep it charged.  Many motorbike have marginal charge when existing lights/electrics are working.

I doubt the stop lights are legal - will it pass its MOT with them fitted?

Scotch Lock connectors - work of the devil.

Do it properly.

Remember too much light is just as bad.

Car drivers will have a wtf moment when the strobes kick off and in rain will destroy any night vision leaving shadows in their vision.

A clean hi viz jacket will be far better.

I pass a bmw every morning. He has extra lights that are so fucking bright you cant see as it comes past. Your blinded by your own mirrors. I dont see how that is safer.

I am convinced  soon people are going to be killed in accidents caused by their own lights blinding oncoming traffic.

• Like 3

The strobes aren't that bright and they're mounted inside the red cover with the standard bulb. Easy to cover with tape for MOT if needed.

What's wrong with Scotchlocks at 12 volts and near zero current?

Scotch locks corrode and are subject to vibration, simple as that really. Much better to create your own soldered joints than cut into your loom with a metal push pin, the problem is that you stand the chance of not only losing your extra lights but also the light your connected to. Just saying, not my bike so it's very much down to whether your happy to do it or not.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, slice said:

Scotch locks corrode and are subject to vibration, simple as that really. Much better to create your own soldered joints than cut into your loom with a metal push pin, the problem is that you stand the chance of not only losing your extra lights but also the light your connected to. Just saying, not my bike so it's very much down to whether your happy to do it or not.

Quite happy. The towbars on my last 4 cars had their electrics connected with Scotchlocks and there was never a problem. Exposed to the elements I could understand, but protected inside the vehicle or light unit is OK for me.

• 4 weeks later...

Having changed the generator rotor  on my 535 I opted for an uprated after market third party replacement,and a slightly larger capacity heavy duty battery.I have also fitted L E D lights and indicators all round. These draw hardly any current when in use so allowing for the heated grips.I would not fit high power spots either side of the headlamp but would opt for again LED running lights.The winter will test your battery to its limits just with temperatures alone so anything you do to stress it further will shorten its life no end.with a 97 plate bike I would guess it is still running on original electrics.These will have degraded by now and will not be at 100%!!! I chose to completely upgrade my bike as it seemed every part I fitted stressed the old components even further until I said enough is enough and bit the bullet. If you shop around there are deals to be had on all the relevant electrical components.And first up would be to replace the rec/reg as a matter of course.These are cheap and can be had upgraded third party on the bay for a fraction of standard oem parts.I'm not suggesting for one minute that you should start throwing money at your new purchase,but I think a new reg/rec is almost mandatory with the Virago when you first own it second hand. It will save a lot of heart ache during the winter if the old one should slowly die and take out your battery and quite a few other things possibly also. LED lights are a stroke of genius in the bike world.suppose you only change the rear stop and tail light you will be saving a ton of battery charge every time you ride. As the other guys have said give the bike a good wash and treat with ac50 -wd40 or some other damp repelling spray.And get into the habit of a rinse down after a journey through previously gritted roads,the salt stays on the roads for a very long time and will be a constant presence during the winter months. Just hose all the road dirt off the bike while it is still wet if possible  before putting it away for the night. And keep the spray treatment up throughout the winter months. You can get lazy with it once the spring comes and dry weather and wash once a week until the winter comes again. A few small precautions now will pay dividends later.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online