Replacement VIN Plate

finnerz89
This post is 2795 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I no longer have a VIN number on my frame due to powder coat etc, but understand its checked on the MOT?

Anyone out there bought an official looking blank replacement or can you just make one up?

Sent from my E6553 using Tapatalk

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Not sure but don't think you can just "attach" your own mate cos if you can everyone will be doing it! Was it the STICKER kind or the Aluminium plate? You might get an official one from Yam UK but don't hold your breath, your going to have to jump through all sorts of hoops to get it sorted I think. Remember they are stamped with a particular font and spaced really precisely so even if you can make one it won't fool anyone official. Police will just LOVE you if they check it !!!

Thought that might be the case! Sh!t. It was just a sticker, tried warming it up and peeling it off but it wrecked it. Will have a word with local MOT station and see what they say

You "might" be able to stamp the head stock with an official set of stamps but how you would get hold of them or even if your allowed to is something I don't know. It will impact your ability to sell it as well as your going to have to prove the frame is the original one compared to a replacement. How much would it cost to get hold of another chassis? Your in a world of "oh f**k" at the moment but there must be a way around it cos you can't be the first person for this to happen to. Keep your pecker up mate can only get better from the bottom of the hole your in now!

Yeah I've looked around, one option is to carefully sand back the powder to hopefully reveal the stamped no, then clearcoat over it to protect it. There's also a couple of companies who sell replacement stickers so like you say it can't be a rare occurrence!

• Like 1

There you go mate, always a way out, last resort run it over and claim off the insurance Image result for emoticon laughing Seriously if you can find one person out there that does this then there are probably dozens.

Found these folks in the UK, might be of some use, worth at least a call to see if they can help out. http://www.vintagsuk.com/Motorcycles.htm

Cheers mate, was planning on giving them a bell!

Might be the route I go down.... Lol

So panic over, basically I buy a blank replacement plate, get it engraved or stamped, fix it to the bike somewhere and jobs a gud 'un!

• Like 3

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online