Viva Almeria!

Pete
This post is 6547 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

For all you poor bastards still languishing in Blair's Brave New World, here's a trip I took yesterday. It'll cheer you up! :lol:

From Huescar in Granada to Urra in Almeria! For the thickos amongst you....that's in Spain! B)

It was a 250 mile round trip in great weather! :cool:

I headed south from Huescar to Cullar and then picked up the A92 motorway for about 20 miles.

Turn off at Chrivel....and that's when it gets interesting. It's a 40 mile run through the mountains to Albox, but as usual when you get off the major roads, the surfaces turn to crap and it gets very narrow.

sor1.jpg

sor2.jpg

The Beemer takes it all in it's stride though....

bm76.jpg

The roads turn into a labyrinth of twists and turns where you rarely get above third gear.

sor3.jpg

sor4.jpg

I got to Albox, the roads opened up, and then I was back onto the motorway for about 50 miles.

I turned off, and arrived at my destination which was Urra just outside Sorbas!

bm77.jpg

sor7.jpg

It borders onto the only desert in Europe....where the spaghetti Westerns were filmed in the 60's.

sor5.jpg

sor6.jpg

It was getting really warm by this time so I thought I'd go back most of the way via the motorway to cool down. I stopped at the services for a much needed drink!

bm78.jpg

And I made some new friends too! :lol:

sor8.jpg

Then off I went again....north up the motorway towards Murcia, then turning off onto the A92 motorway.

140-160kph all the way, and hardly any traffic. And certainly no sign of cops! :lol:

The Beemer did 250 miles today, didn't miss a beat, and just keeps getting better and better. And the harder you run it, the better it likes it.

The thing is just so planted and stable at speed it's unreal....it's like being on a monorail. A bike this ugly, this heavy, and this old-tech, has no right to be this good.

If Yamaha could build a GS-beater, I'd buy one tomorrow! But until that time, I'll stick with the two wheel Urban Assault Vehicle! B)

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Sounds and looks like fun. cheers for the nice pics :D

No matter where we travel to though, I am always pleased to get home here to the Highlands and have to say that while I ain't knocking you or anyone else for relocating, I reckon the UK is still a pretty good place to live. Mind you, I will also say that we are lucky to be living in the Highlands and might feel very different if I lived elsewhere.

Re the bike, I recently helped a neighbour with a small job on his son's GS and they both rate the bike very highly indeed with the same comments as you make.

Cheers,

Andy

• Admin

Looks nice, but sod breaking down there! You know what these old beemers are like B)

Looks as if Pete's Going to the Dogs again! :D

Seems like you sure have a way with K9's mate.....probably explains why you've got a few under your own roof as well. ;)

Glad to see your GS hasn't been giving you any grief. B)

Glad to see your GS hasn't been giving you any grief. B)

Going on for 6 months and over 3000 miles now Scott. Never missed a beat! And TBH....I'm surprised.

As for rideability....it's amazing! From one lane "roads" filled with potholes, gravel tracks, urban riding, fast open roads, right through to crossing continents on motorways. It does the lot....easily. With virtually zero fatigue on the rider however long you're in the saddle.

As for rideability....it's amazing! From one lane "roads" filled with potholes, gravel tracks, urban riding, fast open roads, right through to crossing continents on motorways. It does the lot....easily. With virtually zero fatigue on the rider however long you're in the saddle.

Certainly can see why you catagorise it as an Urban Assault Vehicle B)

Wander into a Beemer dealer and get a testride Scott. With the type of rider you are it'll blow your mind. The setup for handling with the Paralever and Telelever suspension is amazing.

Pick a corner you take at 70 and you'll go round it at 100 on a GS.....and feeling like you're sitting in a big armchair on the roof of a car. It's unreal! :lol:

Guest Tomg

wow amazing views!!

glad the beemer is doing well. i still think the headlights are strange though ;)!! hahaha

"sitting on an armchair on top of a car"- sounds like a good description!!

wow amazing views!!

glad the beemer is doing well. i still think the headlights are strange though ;)!! hahaha

"sitting on an armchair on top of a car"- sounds like a good description!!

I still reckon it looks like big bird esp in yellow. Good to see it hasnt lived up to its rputation yet though Pete. Emphasis on the yet me thinks.

I still reckon it looks like big bird esp in yellow. Good to see it hasnt lived up to its rputation yet though Pete. Emphasis on the yet me thinks.

TBH Robbie....most of the issues and problems are with the later 1200. The 1150's are pretty sorted...some of them with excess of 200K on the clock.