Front fork setup?

neversaydie
This post is 2831 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Wonder if anyone could guide me on this? I fitted a shortened rear shock linkage last year to cater for my lack of leg length, happy with that. I also dropped the front forks by 10mm, but wonder what the impacts will be if I drop the front another 20mm to match the drop on the rear? Are there any safety implications to watch for in handling?

Thanks 

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I think the only thing you get by shortening the forks is to alter the turn in on corners! It's a bit like making the bike twitchier as you turn the bars, can get exciting if your really going for it and give it a hand full will make the tyre scrub out faster. As I say not certain. It's a bit like the difference between a long forked bike and a scooter, the scooter will slide out faster than the bike.

Just a thought, the ground clearance can be compromised as well if you go too far as the belly of the bike will be closer to the ground but the fork movement will be the same.

if you shorten the shock linkage, it usually raises the bike up, longer ones lower the bike. I assume you mean that though.

I dropped my fz forks by 17mm just to get the thing to turn and thats with 16" wheel. the rear is raised 10mm too. steers better in the corners

• Like 1

On 21/07/2016 at 10:49 PM, drewpy said:

if you shorten the shock linkage, it usually raises the bike up, longer ones lower the bike. I assume you mean that though.

I dropped my fz forks by 17mm just to get the thing to turn and thats with 16" wheel. the rear is raised 10mm too. steers better in the corners

Yes, its lowered the rear by 34mm. looks like a suck it an see job on the front, Ill try another 10mm first

Thanks chaps