New rider looking for bike advice

Mov1s
This post is 2982 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hey everybody,

I'm a new rider and am looking to buy my first bike. I found a nice looking '93 Seca II (Divvy) for sale and was looking for some advice on this bike (and new rider bikes in general). 600cc was more than I was planning on getting for my first bike but this one kind of jumped out at me. What do you guys think about this as a first bike? I've read they are fairly reliable but is there anything I should ask or look for if I do go to check it out?

Thanks in advance!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

First, welcome to the YOC, then does it have a service history?, don't matter who did it just does it have one, then does it rattle? they all make noise but are there any deep rumbles from the engine? Finally do you like it? all very well being cheap and your looking for a bike but do you like it. No point what ever you buying a bike that you think is a dog, if your not sure take a mate with you to look it over and give you impartial advice, if he/she thinks it's ok then dicker till you get it for the price your willing to pay. Next if you buy it BUY THE MANUAL for it BEFORE you even think about taking a spanner to it, last but not least do you have any mechanical experience at all? Cos if you buy a bike your going to need it unless you have bottomless pockets. Other than that they are good solid bikes you'll never win any prizes for originality but you will have fun.

:wavey:welcome aboard! I don't know anything about the divvy, but I trust Slice's advice. I went with a 950 thinking it was too big for my first proper bike (granted, it's not a rocket), but it's turned out great.

1 hour ago, Mov1s said:

Hey everybody,

I'm a new rider and am looking to buy my first bike. I found a nice looking '93 Seca II (Divvy) for sale and was looking for some advice on this bike (and new rider bikes in general). 600cc was more than I was planning on getting for my first bike but this one kind of jumped out at me. What do you guys think about this as a first bike? I've read they are fairly reliable but is there anything I should ask or look for if I do go to check it out?

Thanks in advance!

good reliable bike there are inclined to bad starting and do have clutch rattle cause by pin at the back of basket replace with 5mm drill bit if needed engine is bullet prove on the whole good i have had mine for two years still strong

Thank you everybody for the welcome and advice!

7 hours ago, slice said:

First, welcome to the YOC, then does it have a service history?, don't matter who did it just does it have one, then does it rattle? they all make noise but are there any deep rumbles from the engine? Finally do you like it? all very well being cheap and your looking for a bike but do you like it. No point what ever you buying a bike that you think is a dog, if your not sure take a mate with you to look it over and give you impartial advice, if he/she thinks it's ok then dicker till you get it for the price your willing to pay. Next if you buy it BUY THE MANUAL for it BEFORE you even think about taking a spanner to it, last but not least do you have any mechanical experience at all? Cos if you buy a bike your going to need it unless you have bottomless pockets. Other than that they are good solid bikes you'll never win any prizes for originality but you will have fun.

I'll be sure to inquire about the service history before plopping any money down. I do basic servicing of my car (brakes, oil, etc.), but I'm sure this will be a learning experience.

6 hours ago, whiteknight_1949 said:

good reliable bike there are inclined to bad starting and do have clutch rattle cause by pin at the back of basket replace with 5mm drill bit if needed engine is bullet prove on the whole good i have had mine for two years still strong

The seller did mention it is a bit of a rough start, good to know.

Hi and welcome - my two cents - could be a good fit, might not be. Maybe test ride if possible. 600cc is pretty standard as a first bike IMO. (I assume you have learnt on a smaller bike? not sure how it works in the US?)

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online