dt 175 4l9 electrics issue

crazyfish.za
This post is 2993 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Howzit everybody.

My name is Marko, I'm from South Africa

My trusty old Dt finally gave in a couple of months back. I had the voltage rectifier pack up and catch a light.

it was then that I decided to give it a top end rebuild as it was long over due.

Once it was all reassembled, I got over excited and started her up. it was wonderful, 2 kicks in and she was wizzing like a champ.

i then realized, i hadn't put the gauges back on, nor did i have the battery installed. I saw the head light was working so i didn't give it much thought a the time.

Sadly, once i installed all the rest of the bike, I noticed that my headlights and tail light wasn't functioning anymore. The indicators and horn works a charm. So i went on the hunt on the big old internet of things to try and source some information about the problem I have with my baby.

I found lots of guides on how to convert to 12v, but that's not the route i want to go in. I found information about the readings i should be getting and how to test the rectifier, how to find a short in the circuit, but sadly nothing would help me solve my problem.

So as it stands, i have a fully charged battery reading 6.2v. When i start the bike and rev her up, the voltage reading stays at between 5.8v and 6.2v with the battery connected. As far the the guides an gurus on the internet are concerned, I should get up to 8v on the battery when the motor is running. When i remove the battery, i get a fluctuating reading on my multi meter, between 1v and 2v across positive and negative in the loom where it connects to the battery.

My ignition only has 2 positions, on and off. When it's in the off position, no lights come on (obviously). If I disconnect the battery and turn the ignition on, I have no lights on the  gauges, but once i have it running the neutral light comes on.

If I install the battery and turn the ignition to the on position, the neutral light goes on without the motor running. Stop light and flickers work too, but not as well as when the motor is running.

i have replaced the rectifier with a cheap aftermarket one, but it is operational as far as i can tell, according to the internet at least. i used a multi meter and tested the continuity in both directions, with only one direction showing continuity.

It has a 6 wire cdi. see pictures attached. Brown, white with a red line and black wires coming out the one section. Orange, black with a white line and a black wire out of the other section.

Out of the magneto, i have wires joined with a proprietary connection. The colors are brown, blue and yellow. Then there are 3 wires that connect with insulated bullet type connectors. The color are white with a red line, black and brown.

From the internet, i gather that the Yamaha proprietary connection is the lighting and charging coils. It tells me to check the Ω's reading.Ground to yellow should be 0.18Ω.

The readings i get never stay stable, i get varying amounts between 5.8Ω and 31Ω.

I have asked our local dealers, but sadly, they seem to keep information close to the chest.

I have cleaned all the earthing points. i have opened and cleaned the switch assemblies. I have no idea what to do next. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Side note, I'm not sure if i was testing the resistance correctly, the manual says ground to yellow lead, so i connected it to the ground where the battery connects as well as directly to the motor and the frame. I get varying amounts any which way i test it.

I'm  not sure if the voltage regulator is at fault, it is one with a single wire coming out of it. It seems to earth to the frame where it is connected.

As far as I'm concerned, it is either the lighting and charging coil or the voltage regulator.

Thanks in advance for your input guys.

1ser no.jpg

2 battery.jpg

3 cdi.jpg

4 cdi br w-r b.jpg

5 cdi o bw b.jpg

6 mag 1.jpg

7 mag 2.jpg

8 key off.jpg

9 key on.jpg

12 toggle switch.jpg

13 gauge lights.jpg

14 v when running.jpg

15 Ω con 1.jpg

16 Ω con 2.jpg

17 reading 1.jpg

18 reading 2.jpg

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Think your looking in the wrong place. Have you tested the voltage regulater. 

Little silver box. Size of a match box with a yellow and sometimes white wire mounted either on the frame near the rear upper engine mount or under the seat.

Hi Cynic, if i recall mine has a single wire coming from it. not sure how to go about testing it either. according to the  manuals i saw, you need a special tester, a 12v battery in order to test for the voltage and the amperage, but I'm not sure how to go about testing it. i need to be sure before i damage more of the bike or my tester :D

Just as an aside, there are dozens of "how to" videos on youtube on how to check a voltage regulator. Any generic V/R will do.

58 minutes ago, crazyfish.za said:

Hi Cynic, if i recall mine has a single wire coming from it. not sure how to go about testing it either. according to the  manuals i saw, you need a special tester, a 12v battery in order to test for the voltage and the amperage, but I'm not sure how to go about testing it. i need to be sure before i damage more of the bike or my tester :D

Think your looking in the wrong place. Have you tested the voltage regulater. 

Little silver box. Size of a match box with a yellow and sometimes white wire mounted either on the frame near the rear upper engine mount or under the seat.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online