Does anyone know anything about loctite, cylinder heads or bolts?

125fightingmachine
This post is 2921 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi guys and gals, ok so I wanted to blank off my egr valve (had a blanking plate and all that ready). I then try to unscrew the 2 bolts that are holding the egr manifold onto the engine and they both are seized and snapped off at the bolt heads resulting in myself trying to drill them out where I was unsuccessful so I came up with a solution to make a flat metal plate with no holes in and gun gum it over the opening but didn't trust that so this is what I've done! (Picture below)

I have basically just cleaned the surfaces of the metals, put loctite 638 NEW high strength metal retaining compound around a hex head overlap and glued it in there. I know for a fact it is sealing the unit but will it pop straight out when I start the bike up from compression? Will this effect compression in any way? (The bolt is about 2.5" long) will it melt inside the cylinder head? And will it hit anything in the Engine? URL]

image_zps9cxgncjf.jpeg

Any help greatly appreciated! Happy riding, Louis :) 

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

That's a hell of a fix mind you! But could you not just shorten the bolt so that it doesn't actually interfere in the head? If it was me I would have the head off and drill the bolts out, recut the thread and redo it. Better still helicoil it and use the existing holes. Just as an aside, when you do come to get that bolt out it's going to be a right bastard to move if you've glued it in!

• Like 4

or weld on nuts to the snapped off screws, ally will heat up but not weld. then unscrew as normal

• Like 3

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online