Dt125 sm 2005 .25 oversize piston??

This post is 3003 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi, I recently purchased a dt125 sm 2005 and I thought I shall rebuild her. Ordered a wossner piston kit, and I came to realise it wouldnt fit, as the old piston is .25 oversize!!

So with the old piston being in reasonable condition I put it back together and now I'm back on the bike (it now runs and starts better but it doesn't tick over without the choke on and bogs down before the power band??????)

A: does having an oversize piston and barrel to suit = more power?

B: would it be better/easier to go back to standard barrel and piston size?

Thanks for any help in advance!! Just trying to learn :)

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Works out as about 1cc increace and will make no measurable difference.

Prob just a little low on compression. 

Looks ok is a poor method of judging a piston.

Thanks for your info cynic :)

The piston didn't have any aluminium welded to it put it that way haha

I am sorting out a new barrel for it and already have a new piston but I think I need to clean the carb as well.

Any advice on doing this as I don't want an unexpected spring to shoot off into a crevice of no return!

Thanks

There aren't any un expected springs in there, maybe a couple of circlips but they wont 'ping' off without your positive help.

Use the manual, personally I have a turkey basting tin from the pound shop that I use for this kind of thing. not affected by solvent, easy clean and keeps all parts together. I also keep the plastic tubs from the Chinese. You know the ones the food comes in to keep small parts ordered.

End of the day be patient and accurate it will be fine.

• Like 1

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online