Woke up one morning and bought a bike.

This post is 3014 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hello all and any who take the time to read this. This will be my first summer riding. Im really excited and slightly nervous. Ive talked a great deal about riding with my roomate and he has both glorified and demonized the hobby. I didnt let the cons scare me off however, and I recently bought a project bike. Said bike is a 1983 Yamaha XV750 Virago Midnight Special, 1 of 2300(I believe made that year, and the last year they were made in the 750cc range). I didnt want to buy a little bike and get sick of it 3 months later as I have read many do so frequently. So I chose a size that best fits my body type and something I will be able to enjoy (once it runs of course) for some time. Since purchasing and transporting the bike home, I have spent a few days trying to get it started. Day one, consisted of dealing with a dead battery. So I found someone with a trickle charger and left the battery on it for 24 hours. Day 2 consisted of getting the bike almost start, but killed the battery again in the process. As an act of desperation to hear my new toy run, I tried jump starting the bike off my car battery. Red terminal to red black terminal to black on my car, red terminal to red terminal on the bike and grounding it on a fork. This lead to killing a relay so I am told, as the bike now tries to start when the push start isnt even held in, and any power is sent to the bike. Any suggestions or checklists I should run through to get this bike started!? 

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi there Snacks ! Welcome to the forum . You'll have to get the plugs out to see if the bike is making a spark . Then you'll need fresh fuel . Then you'll need to replace that burnt out relay . Then you can get properly stuck in .  Best of luck with your new bike , don't get put off if it's not easy , it'll be worth it when you've got a decently running reliable bike . Kev.

• Like 1

Oh dear, best suggestion, go to your local bike shop and get them to at least start it for you, then buy the manual for your bike BEFORE you even think about working on it again!

PS never ever connect a CAR battery/charger to a motorcycle unless you really have a wish to see a bike wiring on fire.

• Like 2

Yeh snack"s,  you"ve dived in ,  shudds ,cleaned carbs too, [ if its been standing for months]  .  fault finding time ,now, [ electrics, ]  :welcome:

• Like 1

:wavey: welcome aboard! Sounds like the guys have given you some great advice. Reading the manual is the first step in really getting to know your bike. :thumb: 

• Like 2

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online