1979 XS750 Starter

pedro32
This post is 2834 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I have a XS750 that makes a horrible noise when operating the starter motor like it is slipping. I have put a kit in the starter clutch which comprises of rollers and springs. I have also replaced the gear that attaches to the clutch that the rollers make contact with because the old one had some grooving. I don't know what to do next. It turns over a few times and then slips while making this horrible noise. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

my first idea would be the battery amps too low, then

maybe the splines are worn on the starter?

starter bearings gone?

• Like 1

If you have replaced the springs and gears then it has to be, as Drewpy say's, another problem, usually the battery would be the next thing to look at. Test it with a multimeter and see what the charge rate is. Should be about 12.5 volts when off and 14.5 volts  when running. Do you have a motorcycle battery charger? DON'T use a car charger as that will cook the battery. You probably know this but it never hurts to say it just in case.

My dads bike has the same type roller clutch and that sounds bad with a weak battery. The drive needs to spin up fast to really throw the rollers so they lock. With a wimpy battery they will let go once the rotation drops and slip, the motor is still spinning but not enough and sounds horrid as its enough to hold the rollers in place but not enough to turn the engine. And because its still spinning over the assumption is It can't be the battery?

Don't use the starter more than you have to for testing or you will need another rebuild kit.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online