125 YBR

Ratchet
This post is 3012 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I would appreciate some advice as to how to remove the long bolt that holds the foot peg bracketry in place and stops me getting at the oil filter. 2008 model. I tried to remove it and the head sheared off. I have tried getting it hot ie going out for a quick spin and the hitting the bolt. I have tried WD40 but so far no success. Is there a clever way of removing this bolt that I do not know?

I will say that Yamaha dropped one on this design imo. With such a long bolt it was always going to seize up especially due to its position on the bike and the amount of hot and cold drawing in moisture against steel and aluminium.

I hope someone has the answer to this as it is a big issue when it come to any kind of maintenance on the bike.

Thanks,

Ratchet 

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi Ratchet, this sounds odd to me, I don't know your bike but it's unusual to have a bolt or foot rest that stops you getting the oil filter off, not saying it's not like that just an odd design for them to do. Bung up a photo mate so we can get a view of the problem area, it's always easier if you can see what folks are talking about.

I had a look round and found this, seems an odd way to go about it but this shows how to change the oil (not what you needed I know) and how to change the oil strainer, your right this seems like a right pain in the arse! Anyhow this might help?

Haha. Have you watched the subtitles on that video.

Yeah but it was the content that interested me.

5 hours ago, Cynic said:

Haha. Have you watched the subtitles on that video.

LMAO... YouTube tries... and fails. :biglaugha:

Ah come on guys he's trying !!!!  lmao_yellow_glitter_smiley_text.gif

Have seen this vid. This bike is a later model to mine. My pegs are on a cradle with a long bolt that goes right through casing. If I cannot get this bolt out then I cannot remove pegs to remove casing to either replace the clutch or clean the oil filter. Seems like no one has had this problem .......... just my luck!!

Oh sorry about that mate! Have you tried going down to your local Yammie shop and asking their mechanics if they have an idea about your problem? They just might know of a fix that is easy and inexpensive (yeah right !!) still always worth a go you have nothing to lose. Good luck.

Thanks guys. I have tried just about everything apart from cutting it off which would leave me with a big bolt stuck in the casing and no way of putting the pedal cradle back on. I think Slice may be right, trip to the Yammie dealer and bleed poverty!! Who am I kidding ..........I am poor!!

Oh bad luck mate still you never know they might find your tale of woe touches their flint like hearts !!! But as Kev say's have you tried heat and plus gas? It will work just takes time and effort and can save you loads of cash. If you can grab the bolt shaft with a pair of mole grips and get at the edges of the stuck bolt with some plus gas and then get the thing hot (not glowing of course!) then there is a fair chance of wiggling the thing about till it gives in and comes out. Oh and leave the old oil in it as well if you can, it helps to distribute the heat around the engine helping to stop hot spots.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online