Gear selector shaft - YBR (Instructions needed on replacing)

125fightingmachine
This post is 2956 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Seriously, detailed instructions for changing the gear selector shaft.

You have a manual?

Yes I have a manual. Found what I'm looking for thanks:) sounds like a task to change but I'm keen to learn - I've stripped a couple of motorcycles down before and fixed a couple up but only had a peep in a few engines. Does anyone have any experience in this subject? Any help greatly appreciated as I have to do something about it 

cheers, Louis 

Never pulled one of these apart. Only cars and 2 strokes for me but as a rule you will need to make a couple of tools up or buy em. Clutch holding tool and a torque wrench with a good pair of circlip pliers.

Normally the gear assembly hides behind the clutch basket so all that will have to go. Once off though its just a case of sliding it out.

This rarely if ever happens though, its a case hardened shaft. Are you sure its not just the gear lever that has worn (normally is) or the bolt is lose. You could sand away some of the material on the bolt side of the gear lever to allow it to be tightened further another option before pulling the shaft would be drilling a small hole, maybe 4mm through both pedal and shaft (with a good drill bit and lube) and split pin the bugger.

• Like 2

NOOO!!! , Don't strip it !!!  The best fix for this is as follows - Firstly , find the position you normally like the gear lever at when you are riding and mark it ( Tippex or permanent marker will do ) .  Then slacken the bolt on the lever slightly .  Take a drill with a 3 or 4 mm bit and CAREFULLY  drill  , half on the shaft and half on the lever  , and parallel to the gearshaft ,  and drill in about 1cm .  Keeping your marks aligned .  Then find a nail or something similar which will fit in the hole and act like a woodruff key , and trim it to the same length as the drilling .  Pop it into the hole and tighten the bolt . (It sounds like the thread has gone in your lever , you may have to use a slightly longer bolt and a nut to tighten it .)  If done properly it'll never slip on you again .  I hope I've explained this clearly , if you're not sure , get back to me and I'll explain further .  Or alternatively , strip the cover off the engine , replace the expensive shaft , buy new gasket's etc .  Hope that helps .

• Like 4

13 hours ago, 125fightingmachine said:

Spot on I'll see if dad has any suggestions but if not I'll try this Kev! (What an idea :)) You mean parallel to the the gearshift as in - so that you can see the circular end of the shaft inside the outer shell of the gear lever? 

Yep , with the lever on the shaft , looking at the little circle , drill inward toward the bike , so you are drilling half on the shaft , half on the lever . Best to do it on the side away from the pinch bolt .  You will try a new lever first though . wont you ?  Borrow one from another bike just to see if  that works before you go drilling , or put a nut and washer on the longer bolt you tried and see if it'll tighten for you that way .  Check the longer bolt doesn't foul anything when you use the shifter .

• Like 1

Just adding a little to the above. Be careful when your drilling, go steady and keep the drill lubricated as you are cutting a hard material and a soft material and the drill will try and drift into the softer lever.

Go slowly and it should be ok,

• Like 3

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online