A Bit of a Ride

cotterpot
This post is 2898 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

A few months ago my mate decided he fancied a big ride for the year of his 60 birthday so I said I would go with him - if we stayed in B&B's.

We are just back from an 8 day 2200 mile trip round the uk, doing all the usual biking things.  Up to John o Groats, down to Land's End - a truly dreadful place.

We rode from middle England via A68 to Peebles then north to Thurso.  Single track roads down mid Scotland, Loch Ness to Fort William, Lake District and Wales (just a bit), then 'Atlantic Highway' (who thought that name up) to south. From Penzance along south coast to Hove and then back to Norfolk.

I thought my buttocks may have got used to it by the end, but no.  We still needed regular stops, and not just for fuel.  And on the fuel issue I was really surprised that my 07 xvs650A easily managed 50 mpg and sometimes more whilst doing 65mph on motorways/dual roads.  However I did get from just outside Hove via M25 to the turn for Stansted without changing gear.  89 miles in 1hr 45min.  It made me smile.

We also think we rode through 27 English counties, but I have to check that.  We didn't bother counting the Scottish or Welsh ones.

We really do have some very good countryside round the UK, even though the weather can be a bit indifferent but I think we may be looking for other trips for next year.

PS My mate has a Harley - even he thought it was noisy by the end.

• Like 4

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Brilliant mate been thinking of doing something like that for a while. Know what you mean about the non fuel stops, seems like by the time I get my bike out and get all my kit on I need a piss even though I had one just before I started.

Brilliant mate been thinking of doing something like that for a while. Know what you mean about the non fuel stops, seems like by the time I get my bike out and get all my kit on I need a piss even though I had one just before I started.

• Like 1

Sounds fantastic! Any pics to share? :photo2: 

Here you go - photos  They start from the bottom - I can't do sorting.

And as you can see the weather at Land's End was rubbish.

The locks are at Fort Augustus by Loch Ness.

The bikes are parked at Patterdale in The Lakes

The pic below is at Onich near Fort William - and that is a seal in the loch.  The black blob!

Layby 83 on A9.

P1040519.jpg
IMG_20160519_165247326.jpg
IMG_20160517_153002316_HDR.jpg
IMG_20160516_203431541%201.jpg
P1040510.jpg
P1040502.jpg
P1040489.jpg
IMG_20160514_141200206.jpg
IMG_20160513_143636998.jpg

• Like 5

Very nice! :thumb: I'm hoping to do something similar around here... hubby definitely doesn't want to camp so there'll have to be accommodations on the way. :)

9 hours ago, cotterpot said:

then 'Atlantic Highway' (who thought that name up)

Easy, Cornwall has 2 major roads. One on the Atlantic side of the peninsular, the other is well, the channel side. Channel highway sounds a bit naff. And A30 and A38 get a bit dull. Esp considering the A38 can be called many things as it runs in an interesting meander right up to Derby and beyond.

I'm considering riding down the southwest on the old A38, there is a cheap campsite on Atlantic Farm (guess where that is) and it would probably take a day or two. Running through Worcester and Bristol, Bridgewater, Taunton, Exciter  etc, seen how many times the junctions of the M5 lead on to the A38? 

excellent, sounds a great ride and lots of pub fireside anecdotes to bore regale the regulars with

Superb,.:thumb: what do you mean  " land end is dire ,", av never been, ,  bet you liked the quiet roads up north,  no traffic is bliss,

I did that exact route you mention, Cynic. At 4am on a cloudless morning with a full moon. It was a December but surprisingly calm and warm. No bugger about, just me and the Tiger. Left St Agnes, heading for home. Kept thinking "I should probably hop on the motorway now". But that never happened...! Great ride.

I would agree with the OP about Lands End...! Last time I went it felt oddly depressing?! But it's one of those places that has to be done if you're over that way, I guess...!

• Like 1

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online