Barn find

meatloaf
This post is 2903 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

My eldest who has never been on a bike in his life has found a 2008 YBR 125 in a barn in Somerset, turns out he used to share a house with the original owner who bought in new but only rode it twice as after a low speed tumble he never rode it again, eventually it was given to his sister who took it with her when she moved back to run the family farm in somerset, now believe it or not this bike has only 156 miles on the clock, it appears to be in fairly good nick with a few scratches from the tumble back in 2008 and some surface rust on some of the shinny bits, it seems to run ok and has a MOT. I know that when he gets it I will be spending some time giving it a health check, changing oil, cleaning carbs etc but the big question is what is a fair price for this bike, both my son and the seller are good friends and both know SFA about bikes and are struggling to come up with a fair price.

• Like 1

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Where are all these barns with bikes in? I found £1 on the floor - that's about as good as it gets here. It is an interesting question. Personally I would say a good price between friends for a found/unwanted 2008 YBR would be between £500-700. (or less depending on damage/ friendship!)  As the mileage is so low you could probably get £800-1000 from private sale so is a bit of a weird one.

• Like 2

All depends on condition Meat, if it needs loads doing then £150 if it's a runner with little or no fettling then £500 to £700. Old bikes standing for years are full of unpleasant surprises mate, just the tyres alone will be knackered let alone all the other rubbers that perish no matter how you store it, if it was me I would say offer £300 and if not then walk away.

• Like 2

£200 - £300 seems fair.

bearings may need looking at and def new tyres

After 5 mins searching on the bay of e, 10k miles and 2008 equals around 6-800 quid if you exclude the chancers asking stupid money. They have mot and are ready to ride away.

So yeah, couple of hundred quid tops, when your paying for tyres, mot, oil/filters any more than that you may as well buy one normally.

She was given it too and left it to rot so I would not be over generous on principle.

• Like 2

Cheers guys you have just confirmed some of my own thoughts, funny I took a ride down to the farm last week and saw the bike but as 125's don't excite me I only gave it a quick glance, if I had known he was gonna think of buying it I would have spent some time checking it over and maybe put him off there and then. I haven't got my hands dirty doing real work on bikes in years and a project like this kind of appeals to me but the price is gonna be way too high and at the end of the day I'm not sure that my eldest would actually use it much.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online