Rust, rust, glorious rust.

Hedley
This post is 2967 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi all,

so yes rust. I got under(ish) my bike and its not pretty, there's a lot of corrosion to the frame and the paint is long gone. 

How do I determine if something needs proper assistance?

and best rust removal tips please.

thanks 

hedley

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Wire brush, scotch brite and plenty of wd40 work for me. I'd suggest getting some acf50 for the affected areas to protect them afterwards

Sent from my E6553 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

As above or I use a grinder and a gert big wire wheel, wear goggles and you should be fine, for the awkward places finnerz way for that. Only thing I would say is paint it as soon as you finish and have wiped it down to remove the dust, just a light coat of primer to keep the rust at bay till you decide on your final finish.

As for really bad rust under your bike same thing, don't be afraid to grind down to the metal even if it means you find holes in the frame, they can be fixed with a decent welder. My old XJ had a frame crack right by the footrest/gearchange got it welded and only cost £20 inc time and parts.

• Like 3

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online