Buying a 1988 FZR400

anyoldiron
This post is 2915 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Its 28 years old.

Yamaha have a poor rep when it comes to corrotion on any of their sports bikes.

Also electrical regulators are not good either.

Yamaha plastics are crap too. Fixing lugs snap off or crack.

Sure others will have more.

make sure the head isn't leaking by checking the oil (its water cooled)

they are very revvy so need regular oil changed

is it an SP model?

Take a cynical bugger like me to have a look with you. Someone you know will tell you it straight.

Its pretty, me? 32000kms is not low mileage and as a 400 revs are everything so there could be cam, cam chain wear. 32k is about changing time for those parts.

No laquer on the fairing lowers and what appears to be a stock pipe. Not at 32k. They rot out in under 5 from the inside. Could have been put to one side for a race pipe i suppose.

Lastly. With any 'mint' FZR. Check for the drilled caliper and sump bolts, or brand new ones (tthat caught me out on a 350lc long ago). 

Wouldnt be the first time an old racer has been flogged off as a mint road bike.

Buyer beware. 

• Like 1

Yeah as above, if the bolts and nuts look newer than the part they are holding on walk away. Or worse case if you actually see drilled bolts then run away, it's been thrashed round a track or two.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online