Tank lining

anyoldiron
This post is 2913 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

...............................so being that this subject is one step away from a oil thread, i shall try and tread lightly. This is based on MY personal experience having lined about a dozen tanks.

POR-15 is my elixir of choice, im sure they are others that work, this is the one i use and continue to use because it works for me.

Today was a new one for me, i picked up a really nice 4000 mile GT500 the other week, it had been lined badly with Kreem, the lining had not covered the tank completely and had failed. So this time i got the POR kit with the tank sealer remover, i was a bit dubious as ive heard that this stuff is pretty much impossible to get out. So i poured the stuff in that looks a bit like proper paint stripper, but a little more viscous. Alfer it had been in for 15 minutes, the Kreem started to come of in chunks when i agitated the tank, after a hour (probably before to be fair) it was all off, i was surprised.

So there you have it , my personal experinace...............for what its worth, i think a lot of the failures you hear about POR failing are due to the tank not being dry properly before the liner is poured in, i use a heat gun on a low setting for 4 hours, shaking the tank every now and then. Dont use a hair dryer, they blow up after about a hour, which will make you about as popular as using the dishwasher to clean parts and then the oven to bake on paint the morning before the War Dept has her mates over for some scoff and a stitch and bitch

Just my .02.

• Like 2

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

mines got POR15in and looks amazing still.

Got the complete tank kit, marine clean etc

Yep, im with you drewpy, i brought the whole kit, ive read there are substitutes, but why reinvent the wheel to save a couple of quid especially if you are spending serious money on paint afterwards. l also like the fact that POR looks like 'metal' when its done.

That is amazing!!

Even used the same brush to do different size lines.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online