Dt125re electrical problem.

This post is 2914 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi everyone.I've got an intermittent fault on my 05 dt,one minute it goes like stink then it seems to go into a limp mode if I pull the throttle past 2000rpm it just completely dies nearly cuts out .I've checked and changed the plug,nice tan colour emptied the float no water or crap in it took the snorkel off the airbox no difference.it went fantastic a few weeks ago then I put a brand new dep can on it and it started playing up.its now with a bike mechanic,spoke to him today and he says he's stripped the carb it's not that,checked the ht lead not that,checked the piston not that.now he says I owe them 4hrs labour and that he doesn't know whats wrong with it, his advice is to start changing things,coil,cdi unit till we find what's wrong with it.surely there's a more scientific way than this. Feel I'm being ripped off!please help. 

Edited by Anthony graham
Spelling

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

There isn't  really a more scientific way with a description like yours but letting a bike dealer 'fault find' is the equivalent of a blank check. Pay what you have to to get it back as you will not get what your paying for. For what is worth you will be owing them for a full gasket set and coolant if he has checked the piston properly. I'm pretty certain his 'check' was a look up the exhaust port. The carb check may well have been cursory too.

I sound unkind but its born from experience, I wouldn't trust a dealer to breath air let alone work on my bikes, the ONLY person I pay to work on my stuff is a friend of mine that services the car as it needs plugging in for the bloody service, get mate rates though.

If you can give a better description of the problem, properly identify what you have done and how the bike behaves, also, that end can. The ONLY difference it will make is noise so its not that.

First port of call for me is probably the ignition, so checking any connections around the area you disturbed fitting the can and working towards the engine and cdi looking for shorts/ bad connections would be a sensible start.