Primary Carb leaks fuel after shut down

Kryton
This post is 2919 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hello all,

I am new to this forum and dual sport world so I apologize in advance if my questions seem redundant or ignorant. A few weeks ago I purchased a 1986 XT600 in good running order so I could get back out onto the trails that we have here in Colorado. The only issue I have found is that when you shut it down fuel pours out of the primary Carb down onto the crankcase. my assumption is that the float is sticking because if you tap on the side of the carb it stops. The bike sat for 2 years because the person I purchased it from bought a new 650. I just have a few questions hopefully someone can help me with.

1) How difficult is it to rebuild these carb?

2) How difficult is it to sync them after rebuild?

3) Any tips, Tricks, or helpful hints to complete the rebuild?

4) Any specialize tooling needed?

I did use the search and did not pull up anything. I do have a repair manual on the way but that is still a few days out.

Thanks in advance for any help. Hope to see everyone out on the trails.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Why rebuild, carbs don't break very often if at all, parts do wear but it takes a lot of miles before it has a major effect. Like 30 odd thou.

It will likely be nothing more than a tiny bit of muck in the float valve seat, had the self same thing on my bike not 6 weeks ago.

Thanks for the information. I will with few tanks of clean fuel through the bike with some fuel system cleaner and see how that does. If that does not work I will try a good cleaning. Thanks again.

• Like 1

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online