Bandit electric help

Noise
This post is 2918 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hey guys, kinda in need of some help. 

Bandit is pretty much ready to go now but I still have this electrical problem so here is what I've done. (stock loom)

So I turn the key (brand new ignition barrel)  and only the front n rear lights come on even though the light switch is in the off position. And nothing else works, no starter button, no idiot lights, no horn........Nothing. 

Fitted a brand new starter realy....... Nothing, no clicks....... Zilch. 

Checked all the earth's and they are fine and checked continuity through from switch gear to everything and all is hunky dory. 

Thought it needed a Clutch switch but after buying one I found out the MK1's don't have them so that was ruled out. 

I then heard about the resistor in the ignition barrel and that the new one I bought don't have this resistor and that I'd need to put one in on the Orange/red wire to the black/white wire on the cdi. So I popped out and bought the 100ohm resistor, temporary fitted it and still nothing. 

The only way that I have found I can get her to turn over on the button is to put a wire from the Yellow/white wire on the cdi onto the positive side of the starter relay (which makes it click) and then when I push the button she turns over???

Now will this point to the cdi not sending power to the rest of the bike or am missing something else? 

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

sounds like you have the wrong ignition switch if you had to mess with it .

I got an NOS ignition switch for the xs a few years agao and they changed a few wire colours and had to check the wiring diagram to see which did what

• Like 2

I bought it off ebay (came from Hong Kong)  and was advertised as a 600/1200 bandit part but arrived in bubble wrap rather than suzuki boxes. Might try a NOS set if I can get the full set. (barrel and fuel filler)

Have you belled out the ig switch to see if the connections are as per the old one.

Thing is I'm sure I binned the old one when I fitted the new one because I'm such a twat like that haha. I've looked in the shed for it to no avail. Might have another look for it tomorrow and try it if I find it. 

What year is it?

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online