YBR clutch

Variomatic
This post is 2943 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Attention YBR owners, I've heard a common issue with the YBR is a clutch that judders on the last little bit of the clutch throw as you're letting it out, apparently it's been like that for as long as the engine has been around. Anyone found a way to fix this? This judder really is starting to get on my nerves, it's impossible to pull away smoothly without burning my clutch unnecessarily.

(And yes, I've tried adjusting my clutch cable a million different times) 

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Might be worth stripping the clutch down and checking the springs? It's a nice and simple job

Sent from my E6553 using Tapatalk

18 minutes ago, finnerz89 said:

Might be worth stripping the clutch down and checking the springs? It's a nice and simple job

I've been thinking about redoing my entire clutch, new plates, new cable and new springs. It's been getting gradually more slippy and jerky for a while now. But for clutch springs I'd need a torque wrench much more accurate than my deflection style wrench.

How many miles has your bike done? I'd be surprised if your plates need changing

1 hour ago, finnerz89 said:

How many miles has your bike done? I'd be surprised if your plates need changing

It's only covered 21k, but a set of clutch plates is £15. I'll probably start with simple things first, clutch cable, then checking springs, and ifnone of that helps then clutch plates. Standard process of elimination is the easiest way 

Ah not exactly a big financial risk then! They'll always keep if you don't need them now

Something that common would have been on here. 

It is also difficult to really hurt a clutch pulling away unless your really. Its partly why its oil soaked. It accomodates slipping. 

An extra 300rpm and hanging the clutch 2 seconds longer will do no harm.

I have to ask. Often people who are used to cars are sensitive to the noises of a bike. Are you being overly gentle pulling off?

19 hours ago, Cynic said:

Something that common would have been on here. 

It is also difficult to really hurt a clutch pulling away unless your really. Its partly why its oil soaked. It accomodates slipping. 

An extra 300rpm and hanging the clutch 2 seconds longer will do no harm.

I have to ask. Often people who are used to cars are sensitive to the noises of a bike. Are you being overly gentle pulling off?

Read the other linked post. A juddery clutch is a problem that I've talked to other YBR owners about, they've noticed the same thing. No, I'm not being overly gentle, no, I don't own a car, I've owned the bike since 2014 and am familiar with the way a motorcycle works and sounds. It may not be on here because the majority of guys on here have long ago progressed to larger bikes, or much like Malleus they live with it.

12 hours ago, Malleus said:

I noticed this on YBR. I just lived with it. I don't think any bikes are gonna be perfect. All will have their quirks

That's what I've been doing since I've owned it, kinda sick of the judder at this point, searching the internet their seems to be no fix for this, I wonder why it happens. No other manual bike I've rode has had this problem, I've come across stiff clutches, but never one that WILL judder unless you ride it for an unusually long time. 

It's worth checking while you have the clutch apart, the slots in the clutch basket where the "Tabs" of the friction plates locate against for indentations due to wear which can cause the plates to stick. If not too bad these can usually be cleaned up with a fine flat file. Also worth checking the grooves in the clutch centre where the metal plates locate in for the same wear.

3 hours ago, YPVSTony said:

It's worth checking while you have the clutch apart, the slots in the clutch basket where the "Tabs" of the friction plates locate against for indentations due to wear which can cause the plates to stick. If not too bad these can usually be cleaned up with a fine flat file. Also worth checking the grooves in the clutch centre where the metal plates locate in for the same wear.

Thanks for the tip. I'll keep it in mind for future bikes but this is a problem that has faced YBRs that are brand new out of the crate,

On 09/04/2016 at 8:29 PM, Variomatic said:

Thanks for the tip. I'll keep it in mind for future bikes but this is a problem that has faced YBRs that are brand new out of the crate,

It wasn't with my band new out of the crate 2006 YBR125. That was just as smoooth as you would expect a clutch to be.

Sorry to sell it really but needed a bit more grunt.

6 hours ago, cotterpot said:

It wasn't with my band new out of the crate 2006 YBR125. That was just as smoooth as you would expect a clutch to be.

Sorry to sell it really but needed a bit more grunt.

Hmm, I've heard reports of this from new ones, maybe it's hit and miss? Or something that happens with age? Still haven't solved this problem. 

Yeah, I don't like how slow it is. People often say "well you don't NEED more power", ohh really, why don't you have one then? 125's are annoyingly slow, thankfully I can move up soon. 

As YPVSTony said, judder is usually down to less than smooth tabs on the clutch basket - could be wear, could be machining marks not adequately cleaned off at the factory, hence the 'done it from new' possibility, either way a cleanup with a flat file may just do the trick.

One other thing I've noticed with some small bikes is a possibility of cavitation in the clutch - basically the plates spin up and churn the oil creating air bubbles, as the plates come together they tend to grab as the air bubbles aren't as slippery as the oil.  This can affect some bikes in a batch but not others, it's a bit hit and miss, the only workaround is to use fewer revs to pull away.