XT 125X Speedo

Gstevie
This post is 3090 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi Guys,

Just looking for some up to date info. Done a quick search and can only find old posts on the issue.

I have a Yamaha XT 125X and I seem to have the speedo issue that i have read is pretty common. Initially the speedo was fine and then it would randomly stop showing speed and sit at 0mph. For the past few weeks it just constantly its at 0mph. The rev counter still seems to work and so does the petrol light. Not sure if its all the same problem but the neutral light is constantly on.

What would be the best thing to start with, the cable or getting a new speedo? Would you have any recommendations as to what I should get? I just need / want a basic digital speedo that will get the job done. My intention is using the bike for some road experience whilst preparing for my direct access course.

Apologise if my post is not detailed, i have a very limited knowledge of bike mechanics and this is my 1st bike.

It is an 05 plate and I am in the UK - just in case the brands available here are easier to get.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

You could just use a push bike speedo if that's all you want, most likely water ingress has knackered your old one up

Sent from my E6553 using Tapatalk

34 minutes ago, finnerz89 said:

You could just use a push bike speedo if that's all you want, most likely water ingress has knackered your old one up

Cheers for that, it could be something to look into.

Only thing holding me back from going straight in on buying that, would be thinking about resale once I pass my test. As an alternative is there a decent motorbike speedo that would fit my bike? Does it need a specific fit or connector?

Have you looked at anything like these?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LCD-Digital-Odometer-Speedometer-Tachometer-Motorcycle-Backlight-Tool-DC-12V-/222046087392?hash=item33b2fa68e0:g:DxIAAOSw9mFWIatj

Should fit just about anything and there are loads on ebay for just a few quid if you just want a temporary fit.

I know there's a few people on here that fitted the trailtech vapour as a long term thing. I'll be fitting one to my project bike

Also check out http://www.digital-speedos.co.uk

Thanks for the replies guys, appreciated.

I did have a quick look on eBay, problem was my knowledge of what would be appropriate for my bike. Didn't know if there would be some specific connection or setup that was appropriate for my kind of bike. Just my kind of luck, things tend to be non-standard when I need them fixed. Tried to get new mirrors for it and that was a job all on its own getting the right size and direction of thread as they are different.

Shouldn't be too much of a problem wiring wise, I doubt you'll find one that plugs straight in but with a wiring diagram and some crimps you should be ready to go!

5 hours ago, finnerz89 said:

Shouldn't be too much of a problem wiring wise, I doubt you'll find one that plugs straight in but with a wiring diagram and some crimps you should be ready to go!

Thanks again guys, much appreciate all the advice. 

Hi gstevie 

look out for grouch he fitted a trailteck vapour to his XT. Also if it's only the speedo that's not working check the sender on the front wheel. You could always put the speedo in the airing cupboard as they do suffer with damp in them.

nige

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online