Buying A Raider that was dropped - Advice please

KiwiYamaha
This post is 2940 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi there.

i am looking at a 2013 raider S. The owner is leaving the state and it only has 620 miles on it. The owner said it was knocked over by a truck in a car park. The right break handle is bent and some scratches on the exhaust. I can purchase for $7000 USD which I feel is a good price. Can anyone advise if I should stay away. Or assuming bike was only knocked over whilst stationary, is this a good deal? Pictures attached. Any help much appreciated, this is only the second bike I have purchased. Pretty new to biking world. I took it for a ride and it seemed ok. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

From the photo it looks like the bike just fell over mate . The lever can be replaced easy enough . Just get someone to sit on the bike with the front wheel in the straight ahead position while you hunker down in front of the bike . Look down along both sides of the front wheel , towards the rear wheel and just make sure every thing is straight . It's just a quick check to rule out a badly bent frame .

P.s. You should say Hi in the new members section , you'll get more replies that way mate .

• Like 2

As above, a really good idea to check the frame out, the price you have quoted is a bit low for this bike, you have to wonder why, a 2008 version should be around the $7K mark not a 2013, you might be one lucky guy but if it was me I would take it to a workshop and have it checked out before you hand over the cash, ask the seller if he is willing to have it checked out, at your expense, if he's not walk no RUN away.

Is a pretty bike tho.

• Like 1

Is it just me or does the brake lever look 'too bent' as it almost like that has been done on purpose? I've hit the floor twice now (:eusa_doh:) at between 20-30 mph and my lever as never gone full circle. Maybe it is just the angle.. not sure why I picked up on this, just seemed odd. 

Not sure I'd want to be driving in that weather though!

No Malleus, I've had this myself, if your bars are all the way to the right ( when parked) and the bike falls on the right hand side it does give you a curly brake lever. Think about it, it's more or less the perfect angle to do it and almost certainly the first thing to hit the ground.

10 hours ago, slice said:

As above, a really good idea to check the frame out, the price you have quoted is a bit low for this bike, you have to wonder why, a 2008 version should be around the $7K mark not a 2013, you might be one lucky guy but if it was me I would take it to a workshop and have it checked out before you hand over the cash, ask the seller if he is willing to have it checked out, at your expense, if he's not walk no RUN away.

Is a pretty bike tho.

+1

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Malleus said:

Is it just me or does the brake lever look 'too bent' as it almost like that has been done on purpose? I've hit the floor twice now (:eusa_doh:) at between 20-30 mph and my lever as never gone full circle. Maybe it is just the angle.. not sure why I picked up on this, just seemed odd.

Funnily enough Mall but twice I've had my bike fall over in the snow and twice the brake lever has ended up like that and believe it or not when the lever is like that it's a better position to firmly grip onto because your right hand secures into the curve.

I even bought a replacement lever but by the time I received it I was more than happy with the bent lever.

• Like 2

Hey Guys,

Wow! Thank you all so much for the replies. Really appreciated. Great idea. Just text the guy now and he said hes more than happy for me to take it in. I would really love to grab it. It feels like a steal at $7000 with only 620 miles for a 2013 model. Keep your fingers crossed for me :)

• Like 4

Yeah. if all goes well at the shop bite his hand off. Reference to your other post re the cables showing, it looks to me like there should be something attached to the bracket that the cables go to, ask the owner what was on there he's sure to tell you and if you think you like the idea then refit whatever it was.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online