1975 Dt125 restore

insomniac jack
This post is 3096 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

hi, 2 years ago, I bought a 1975 Dt125, which I found buried at a mates furniture workshop. it hadn't been on the road for 20 years, but was quite tidy considering. I got it going and rode it for the summer, and it went ok, but vibrated a lot over 50mph. last year I was too busy to do anything with it, but I am looking to get it tidied up for this summer. I have a few questions that I'm hoping someone may be able to help me with. Firstly, to enable me to buy the correct bits, I wonder if anyone could clarify what model this is? the engine number is prefixed with 1F9-, does this make it an "F" model? that would make sense, but from what ive read, its a bit early for that?

secondly, having been used to bigger bikes, ranging from RD400, 350LC, XT250 to XS650, I am finding it a bit lacking when it comes to steep hills, reminds me of my FS1E! the gears seem to be long winded and I'm either revving the nuts off it, or its doing 2000 rpm. so I was wondering about sprocket sizes, or possibly a 175 conversion? is the 175 conversion a straight swap? I would assume the head would need to be changed as well? what about the carb? are they the same as the 125?

any help would be appreciated!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I have no answers. But post pictures :D Also good to go to new members area and introduce yourself. Lets people know that you didnt just post this and run away, which happens a lot, so members are reluctant to spend time and effort giving advice if the OP never comes back!

Good luck, sounds like it could be a good project.

Yeah a 125, even a 2 smoke like an old DT will be lacking when it comes to hills, only so much you can do with 7.6ci of pure 2 smoke fury. But then again with it's age a spruce up with a new piston, rings and barrel might give it a bit more poke when it matters, did for me.

• 2 weeks later...

Compared to an RD350LC... I'll bet that's a helluva difference. LOL :) 

The 175 set up fits straight on , but you'll have to reset the two stroke pump for some extra oil . Not too sure but maybe the carb is the same , might need rejetting though . There wont be much difference on the road though . The little extra power is handy off road .  If she's vibing badly you should replace the crank and main bearings though . I'm sure all those years lying up will have left their mark .

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online