Fine tuning 1980 XT 500

Georgext
This post is 3108 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi there,

ive recently been given an XT 500 (1980) by my uncle! It wasn't ridden or started in 3-4 years and it's just recently been in for a major service! 

I replaced the carburetor and headlamp and fork seals. I also put in a new spark plug. 

She runs!!!!

she starts after 4-5 kicks and runs(not smoothly) and I can ride her around but as I accelerate she loses power, coughs and back fires. I've been told it's the points and timing so I will have a look at that tomorrow and hope for the best! 

Id love to know what everyone thinks and what else the problem could be! And could someone give me directions on how to set the points and timing correctly with minimal tools! No tools that require and power eg inductive strobe timing light. Ive got an idea on how to do it but I'm not 100% sure. Any ideas, instructions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.
  • Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online