Buying a parallel import bike in the UK??

DT_Dylan
This post is 3062 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

So I've finally passed my test and looking to step up to my first 'big bike'. I reckon the FZ6 is a great place to start out; smooth & tourquey 4 cylinder (the configuration that I trained on) plus a 'sports-touring' design and upright riding position; good for the long-distance trips I plan to cover on some occasions (and favourable insurance prices to boot), plus enough power so I won't get bored after learning the ropes ;)

So anyway I've found a great offer at a dealer whose offering an S2 model; low mileage, great condition & for a decent price. Here my dilemma begins: the bike was originally imported from Spain as a parallel import [equivalent model available in the UK at the time of import] and has since passed 2 MOT's under its sole UK owner (...and therefore I assume must be up to full UK spec, legality-wise). However, the clocks are in km/h and I am a little concerned about this (I know that official UK spec models can swap between km/h and mph at the dash, but sadly this doesn't seem to be the case with Spanish models- which a phone call to Yamaha UK has confirmed).

+Down to the facts:

• Insurance-wise, it doesn't seem to make a difference that the bike is a 'parallel import'
  • Has anyone had complications with similar bikes as this, such as trying to convert a km/h speedo to mph whilst blasting down a motorway?
  • Are there variations in finish to accommodate for the different climate of the country it was originally sold in (i.e. will a Spanish bike turn into a rust-bucket, despite all attempts at basic maintenance)?
  • Is it really that hard to regain a sensible resale value from a parallel imported bike?

If anyone can provide some insight into any of these questions, it would be much appreciated.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

One of my bikes clocks are in km's, I've never found it to be an issue. You can get speedo drive converters etc but I've never bothered with that.

It's pretty easy to work out while you're riding

Sent from my E6553 using Tapatalk

Nothing in it. My old suzuki was a parralel and apart from the colour scheme you wouldn't know (it was french).

My tdr is a jap import and that came with much better spec chassis than the uk bike as well as a stupid light in the dash that comes on at 55kph and no sidelight.

Had zero issues with any aspect of owning either.

I tought you could convert to mph on the digital display? Ill have to have a look in the ownres manual/haynes and see if its posiible, or google it

Make sure you test ride it first, to make sure you are happy with the gearbox, neutral to first and first to second are clancky

Fazer or naked?

It says: 

"For the UK only - to switch the speedometer and odometer/tripmeter dispsplays between kilometers and miles, press the select button for at least one second"

Be sure to turn the key to "ON" before using the SELECT and RESET buttons

Thanks guys, puts my mind at ease ^_^ yeah i think its pretty dumb they only included the mph - km/h conversion option on UK models. If it bothers me or makes it hard to sell on in the future i might consider changing the clocks to the uk version down the line (but i imagine the mileage would be lost?)

@neversaydie it's a fazer. So are you saying the clunky changes are expected between neutral, first & second, or would you consider it a warning sign? Thanks.

5 hours ago, DT_Dylan said:

Thanks guys, puts my mind at ease ^_^ yeah i think its pretty dumb they only included the mph - km/h conversion option on UK models. If it bothers me or makes it hard to sell on in the future i might consider changing the clocks to the uk version down the line (but i imagine the mileage would be lost?)

@neversaydie it's a fazer. So are you saying the clunky changes are expected between neutral, first & second, or would you consider it a warning sign? Thanks.

They were like it from new. Reviews at the bikes launch noted cluncky gearchanges, and google throws up lots of comments on the subject. Some say a different oil reduces it. I wehnt through a series aof adjustements to the clutch/gearlever, no improvements. It improved a little when I slowed down the tickover spreed alittle. If I slowed it too far, the bike tended to stall at gearchanges. I think its ones of those things you have to learn to love with the Fazer. Theyre a good bike, build quality is good, quick and nimble. Make sure to lubricate the clutch cable, it can get a little heavy to pull in if neglected