DT125 plug chop results, running lean?

YAMAHA21
This post is 3153 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Plug looks fine to me, certainly not rich.

Removing the snorkel will increase the air speed through the venture in the carb (killing torque, increasing PEAK power) and disturb the static air reserve in the airbox. You have to remember every and I mean every component contributes a little bit to the performance and blindly fucking with a part of it will upset a dozen others and mess the balance costing power. Currently your bike engine is optimised to run economically and predictably, your aiming to change that and that will cost.

My Suzuki as example, TTS removed parts of the intake snorkel and ended up leaving part of it in as it tuned the airbox into the sweet zone. After they had optimised it for performance it had loads of power, ran great at all revs........and used 40% more fuel on average, 20mpg was possible. I got lower than that at the TT.

Just try using the needle jet for now, decide on a route you know close to your house, ride it a few times then do your changes and ride it again. Noting what you have done, snorkel out, jet needle lifted 1. Then on the next run lift it again, you should feel a difference. Good or bad is down to your opinion.

Only if the needle cannot give the mixture you need will you need jets, then go again with different needle positions but start low and move up.

• Like 2

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hahaaa! Oh God , this brings me back to my youthful days of blind enthusiasm and blissful ignorance . A little knowledge truly is a dangerous thing .  There's a book on Two Stroke tuning by a bloke called Bell , if you can find it (and then understand it ) it'll tell you all you need to know . Or ,alternatively, leave well enough alone .

Yep, I was the same taking it all apart and THEN thinking. Oh, hang on where did that bit go. For my sins I did end up with a DT50 that could touch 70mph.

Flat out superman pose for the 70mph, with so much tuning it barely ran under half throttle and had a powerband as wide as a knats fanny and contained 95% of the bikes power. Would have made my TDR feel like a gold wing had some thieving fucker not stole it.

• Like 1

Maybe I am a bit quick to take things apart lol. But because of that I've ended up with a pretty quick bike compared to how it was when I got it. Although I realise carb tuning is on a whole different level. So how much would I be looking at to get the carb setup by a garage with a dyno? There's a garage near me that has one and the bloke who owns the place has over 30 years of tuning experience.

Pass your test and get a bigger bike would be the answer to that unless you have money to burn.

Fair point with these stupid licencing rules nowadays. 

Better spent tuning the easiest transferable part. You. Get good kit and some rider instruction. There are some excellent police observed rides for example, they really are the masters of riding smooth, safe and ultimately fast.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online