brake pads.

This post is 3156 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I got my bike 2 months ago and its been given me jip for a wee while, so I got someone to take my bike apart and he's noticed my brakes are rotten n fucked and my chain is far too loose. I'm considering going to the garage that sold me the bike because they appaz done a full and service check of the bike before I bought it, so I was wondering if this much damage could be done in such a short space of time. Just thought id check before raising hell and making a clown of myself.

FB_20160127_18_08_30_Saved_Picture.jpg

FB_20160127_18_08_42_Saved_Picture.jpg

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

How much mileage have you put on it since?

Having said that, that looks pretty bad and probably like it for a while

Sent from my E6553 using Tapatalk

You need to check what warranty came with the bike when you bought it. I can anticipate that the seller will say its out of warranty, and the rust and corrosion is as a result of winter riding/lack of care from the present owner

Having said that, youve nowt to lose

That caliper may need replacing, also the pistons and pads

You say the chains loose?, could be stretched, using the condition of the caliper as an indicator, id say the bike has been neglected. Likely to need a real good going over for other potential problems

There is cleaning and cleaning, cars can cope with a bucket of warm water a month as everything is really designed to be covered in crap, its only the outside most of us wash.

Relatively speaking your needing to do the equivalent of jacking the car up and removing the wheels and bonnet then cleaning all you can see.

I don'nt  ride my bike from October to March, I don't care what you say it shags bikes and riding in all that winter crap and cold is shite too. I have done the only transport thing though before you start, 4 years my old 600 Suzuki was my sole transport.

I became expert at stripping and cleaning the brakes, not disturbing and lines just undo the caliper. Then brush and soapy water to wash the caliper and push the pistons out and back so they were free. Same with the rear, lost 2 rear calipers before keeping the monthly ritual. Scottoiler, cannot stress this one enough as well as getting a good quality stainless steel exhaust, (good excuse for an upgrade). Lastly have the garden hose ready to go, mine was rigged in the garage so it didn't freeze too much. If the hose is too much hassle to get/set up you wont use it. Just rinse the bike down after each ride. Don't get too excited with a cover as wet is fine, as is dry, without the cover the wind will dry it off quickly. Its the nasty middle ground of being left wet in a damp garage that does damage.

Lastly lots of wd40 on the electricals and change the plug caps at every other plug change and she will never miss in the rain.

That rot on the caliper looks old decay to me, probably well estabished before you had the bike

When I had the xvs125, I rode it through 2 consecutive winters, and when SMIDSY wrote it off for me, I got top dollar cos it was in top nick (got more than I paid for it) so it is possible to winter ide and keep bikes in good order. But it is time consuming

Id througholy  clean/wash the bike at the begining of November, dry it, and polish (chain off to wash dry lube) caliper off/pads out. Once dry ACF50 all over the bike, apart from brake disc/pads/seat/tyres. Time taken, around 6 hours or so

Ride through winter, washing the bike the drying it acouple of times during the season Dont apply any more AFC50, should last through the winter.

Once winters done, repeat the autumn wash

Trouble is, it looks like you have some corrosion problems to deal with beforte you can get to that position

I've bought steel wool, permatex and afc50. I've been cleaning it every Saturday with muck off shit n spraying it with muck off protect spray but guess with the salt etc it just wasn't enough. I've also bought a better cover. For a first bike this thing has cost me a fortune.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online