Clunky Gear Change

Variomatic
This post is 3081 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

My YBR Custom 125 is just under 19k old, and over the last 800 miles or so I've noticed the gearbox go from relatively smooth to a clunk that radiates through the entire bike.

I know older bikes get clunky and rattle a bit more, but this clunk is almost violent in comparison to how it used to be. Should I be worried? I'm going to try adjusting my clutch cable since the bite zone is almost at the end of the throw. The engine is relatively well looked after, serviced regularly and not really ragged more than any other bike.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Most likely the clutch, probably just needs adjusting. Also double check your chain is adjusted and in good order.

Sent from my E6553 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Managed to figure this out before I even read the replays, went for a ride to the pub and found my clutch cable was out of adjustment and that the bite was at the end of the throw. Problem solved, and the oil was perfectly fine, and the correct type.... -_-

Woohoo! All sorts of good things happen in pub car parks

• Like 1

4 hours ago, finnerz89 said:

Woohoo! All sorts of good things happen in pub car parks

Yeah, at the same time I found out my rear wheel bearings are not long for this world, swings and roundabouts. Probably going to replace the cable soon, that's the second large adjustment in 4 months, plus it has that "I'm stretched and gonna snap soon" feel. 

23 hours ago, neversaydie said:

Dont wait for the bearings to fail, could be nasty for you, and cause more damage to the machine

Stuff like that should be ASAP

I'll just not leave the village and pull the money out my arse. 

The bike isn't a show queen, it's my every day transport, unfortunate, but it's gonna have to wait, it's simply impossible to get it done right away, I don't like it either, but without it it means I can't eat, go to college, or earn money. It's gonna have to wait till Monday. I'll keep the use to the bare minimum, but that's as good as I can do. 

• Like 1