DT125X SM power valve problem need help

Smokeygt4
This post is 3148 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hello i just got a 06 DT125x sm and on the way home had some running trouble

After doing the normal plug and petrol change and clean the carb out i noticed the power valve motor was not doing the self clean when i turn on the ig

i moved the PV to a mid point and the bike ran fine

im not sure if its the power valve motor not working and if its controlled by the cdi unit or not ( i have the 5 wire servo)

the valve and cables are not stuck but the wire behind the spedo has been earthed does that stop the power valve motor from working?

i though by earthing that it make it rev more and de-restrictes the bike a little

is there a way to test the PV motor off the bike with a power probe?

or could it be a faulty CDI unit

im sorry if this is a repost i did search for other post about this problem and could not find any info

Thanks

Darren

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Have you done the basics first. Fuses. Cleaned all the connections etc.

Cdi is unlikely to fail but the motor can burn out if there is a lot of drag on the system. The pv should turn rasily with your fingers and the cables should move smothly too.

No earthing the cable just alters the infomaton to the cdi. Nothing directly for the pv motor.

1 hour ago, Cynic said:

Have you done the basics first. Fuses. Cleaned all the connections etc.

Cdi is unlikely to fail but the motor can burn out if there is a lot of drag on the system. The pv should turn rasily with your fingers and the cables should move smothly too.

No earthing the cable just alters the infomaton to the cdi. Nothing directly for the pv motor.

I forgot to say i checked the fuses and clean the connections i take it there are only 2 fuses? the ones next to the battery or as i missing some?

the PV turns easy and the cables are ok too

the bike has only done 5k miles and all the bits look like new

i will try another pv servo as its the cheapest

Thanks for your reply

Yeah they're the fuses, in fact one of them is just a spare

Sent from my E6553 using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, finnerz89 said:

Yeah they're the fuses, in fact one of them is just a spare

oh right i though the back fuse came out easy i was going to check that to make sure the prongs was not snapped off cheers

Right i got another power valve motor today and fitted it and its still the same

when i turn the key on with both motors and the cables not connected the pulley moves a very small amount maybe 1mm and it will do that every time i reset the ig

what should i try next would it be a cdi unit or is there anything else that can cause it

Looks like it could be cdi, your battery is fully charged? A bad battery can play holy heck with the pv.

Hi there

have you put a meter on the battery? Check it with the ignition off then keep the meter on the battery as you turn on the ignition on. Batteries can show good voltage with no load the drop badly when loaded. Just a thought

nige

Any sign of damage to the cable or corrosion on the servo connections?

4 hours ago, finnerz89 said:

Any sign of damage to the cable or corrosion on the servo connections?

No it all looks good

the servo move such a small amount when you turn the key on so it must be getting some kind of signal from the cdi

ive been a mechanic over 25 years and i still cant get to grips with a multi meter :unsure:

Hmmm. How much tension have you put on the cables? When I first got my DT the PV didn't operate and someone had overtightened the cables.

If there is some movement something is happening at least.

You need to fire up your meter and see what infomation the motor gets.

Also. Did you replace just the motor or the whole motor/pully assembly.

2 wires are power and 2 are signal i think. You should check to see what is happening.

Ah OK. Like cynic says you need the meter on it, not sure what you should expect to see signal wise though

On 30/01/2016 at 1:53 PM, Cynic said:

If there is some movement something is happening at least.

You need to fire up your meter and see what infomation the motor gets.

Also. Did you replace just the motor or the whole motor/pully assembly.

2 wires are power and 2 are signal i think. You should check to see what is happening.

I got a 2nd hand servo off ebay then after i found out ho to test them with a power probe and both are working

when i get the chance i will put a meter on the cdi and see what signal im getting

Thx for letting us know. Unlucky too as its not a common fail.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online