5eb flat spot below 4000rpm

Steve L
This post is 3186 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi guys,

im new to this forum, in fact I'm new to my R6. 

Ive bought it to compete in Moto gymkhana in the Uk. Our sport mainly uses first gear, with out using the clutch, and we run a tick over of around 4000rpm to aid in acceleration. But because we have very tight turns and full lock rotations in the comp's we restrain the bike with the brakes it pulls the tick over down to 1000-1200 revs, so when I come off the brakes it should pick up, but it's not doing until it reaches 4000rpm

So far I'm running 1 tooth down on the front, and 2 up on the rear. = +5

but until it gets over 4000rpm it runs very flat, and then all hell breaks out and it takes off.

ive ordered a another front sprocket that's 2 down to see if it helps. = +8

Does anyone else have any ideas what I could do carb, wise to improve how early the carbs pick up

chers in advance

steve. 

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Crikey, odd sport. Japs are pretty serious about it. I would have thought the r6 a bad choice but have just seen a video of a jap guy doing just fine on a honda cbr600rr. Was a pretty new fi one though. With a big fk off billet rear sprocket.

I would guess from my limited use of an r6 that your asking it to do what it cant do, your expecting the engine to perform at 4k, an engine designed to hit 14 or 15k rpm flat out. This is a bike that recreated the 600 class with 2stroke type power, clue being the '2stroke like' That means no fun stuff till the engine has some energy to it. And in the video's I didn't hear people reving the spanglies off their bikes, you wont brake an r6 on power with the brakes they will cook. There was a rider on an XJR, bet he didn't crank up the idle speed and use the brakes, he was turning the fucker 360 deg in less than 2 bike lengths.

I would think to get it down to make lower power I would really take the piss with the gearing, add 10 or 15 teeth to the rear and what you dare to the front, wont matter too much if you go too far you can just use 2nd instead of 1st. Or is it a road bike too?

• Like 1

Cheers for the reply.

the guy on the CBR600rr runs at 6000rpm at tick over. We don't use the clutch, so the revs continue to pull the bike around in a tight rotation. 

The most favoured bike in Japan is a NSR250 two stroke, for some odd reason. Maybe its because of their size and weight. 

Lone of our members imported one last year and raced it this year after a rebuild. 

And he won the championship for 2015 on it too. 

I'm fitting a 14 tooth front when it comes, so maybe this will aid in the revs picking up quicker too,

i realise it's not the first choice of bikes, and my 99 hornet was great and I'd sorted it out to win stuff too, but I fancied a change and challenge, so I bought the R6. 

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online