tunna.blackhat250 about 12 half stone

tunna
This post is 3191 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi,I've had a dt 125 re for about 6 weeks totally original only 9k,problem is only does 50 mph on the flat.i think previous owner just used for commuting never been booted,will it go faster with deep system on,also had a look for this loose wire by the speedo can't find it what colour is it.pls help.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

on the connecting block to the speedo you will see a Black/Green wire that is connected to nothing, apparently from what I have read you snip this wire away from the block and connect it to a good earth on a frame bolt etc, you may have to extend it a little. DEP exhausts look great but keep it clean or it wont look great for long

9000 commuting miles in 11 years.

I think de-restriction is the LAST thing you should be looking at. That bike sounds like it is choked, if it were me I would be getting myself dirty stripping the top end down to give it a decent decoke. Your engine will have built up a residue of hard carbon, soot! basically with oily remnants in it that bakes hard blocking the gasflow. Strip out the powervalve and clear the coke from that as well as the carbon changes the shape and volume of the port killing power dead. You could even start improving things at the same time, matching up the powervalve halves and smoothing off the raised id castings will help. (they are separate castings and generally fit together pretty poorly).

If you are not afraid of a set of spanners, a manual (£15) and a set of top end gaskets (£30 with a genuine head gasket, I repeat GENUINE) some oven cleaner for the exhaust exp chamber then you can do a full decoke and you will have all your ponies back.

Not very scientific but shove a hosepipe up the exhaust all the way into the expansion chamber, should be about 3ft then pull it out. If she is badly clogged even that will make a difference. Its normally the reason why exhausts seem to give big horsepower gains. You should expect 5-10% from a pipe, that's around 1.5-2hp. Noticable with a nice noise andmaybe concentrated towards the top end. If your exhaust is coked up, which happens disappointingly quickly unless a 2 strike is used as intended which is hard, not gentle commuting. You could be 5hp down when you fit the 'superpipe' which appears to give 7-8hp which you will really notice.

Wow, good advice and a long post with a hang over.....B)

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Cynic said:

unless a 2 strike i

Wow, good advice and a long post with a hang over.....B)

I see that ,, :lol:

Cheers john, just reread and, ahem tidied it up a little,:o

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online