XS250 fuel tap

YDS7Paul
This post is 3101 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I am sure this has come up many times before but the search on this site doesn't work. I want to replace my fuel tap with a simple on /off / reserve type instead of the vacuum type I have. The bike has trouble starting  unless I use the prime mode on the tap for around 3 - 5 seconds. It will then fire and usually start. Once running every time you approach a junction you have the keep revving it or it just dies (lack of fuel). It will then not start unless I prime it again. I am sure many people have come across this but has anyone solved it ? would really appreciate some feedback thanks.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Have you checked the fuel cap vents on top of the tank? if they get blocked you have a vacuum in the tank, mine (XJ750) never gave me a moments bother and they are pretty robust, a tap kit only costs a few quid. I like the fact you can't turn it off and it's always ready to go.

Have you checked the rubber tubes as well? they perish and let air in and then your fuel flow just stops.

Thanks for the reply I did overhaul the tap a year ago when I was trying to sort out the original starting issues. I will check again though as I am learning not to ignore the obvious. To date I have spent ages on the carbs and replaced points condensers plugs battery etc. bike has a 400 barrels and head. 

I think a DT400 tap will fit, I have one on the FZ600 and yam tend to have the same type of tank connections

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online