YAMAHA XS250 MODEL CODES.

EACRUISER
This post is 6559 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I need help in diagnosing what model bike my XS250 is

1981 XS250

but i don't know if it is an RK or if it is a different model.

From what i can see RK's have square headlights, my bike doesn't.

RK's have a sort of tail on the back of the seat, Cafe Racer look, my bike has that but has a round headlight.

Just need to work out as the mechanic is saying if my bike is an RK the pistons are no longer available.

Engine has died and need to rebuild it.

""I am sure you are all saying why, well South Australia has these stupid LAMS rules that don't let you ride a bike bigger then 660cc and with a power to weight ratio higher that 150kw per tonne. Now this rules out any sportbikes that fit my overlysized body without making them look like pocketbikes.""

So if anyone can give me a list of the various model codes, where to look for the numbers that tell me what it is, it would be greatly appreciated.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I need help in diagnosing what model bike my XS250 is

1981 XS250

but i don't know if it is an RK or if it is a different model.

From what i can see RK's have square headlights, my bike doesn't.

RK's have a sort of tail on the back of the seat, Cafe Racer look, my bike has that but has a round headlight.

Just need to work out as the mechanic is saying if my bike is an RK the pistons are no longer available.

Engine has died and need to rebuild it.

""I am sure you are all saying why, well South Australia has these stupid LAMS rules that don't let you ride a bike bigger then 660cc and with a power to weight ratio higher that 150kw per tonne. Now this rules out any sportbikes that fit my overlysized body without making them look like pocketbikes.""

So if anyone can give me a list of the various model codes, where to look for the numbers that tell me what it is, it would be greatly appreciated.

what's the first 3 digits on the engine number?

I must admit i've never heard of an RK suffix.

This is all i got

http://www.vjmw.org/yam_id.htm