Braided brake lines

Variomatic
This post is 3059 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I'm still in the middle of a front brake calliper rebuild, and have noticed that the standard rubber hose that Yamaha provided is most definitely on the way out.

What about braided lines? Worth the extra money? Decent for every day use? Are the claims of better feel true?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

On an r6 yes, on a ybr it will look pretty but little real benefit in ultimate stopping power and feel.

Why do you say its on the way out, my TDR still has its original hoses, their 28years old. Hasn't exactly worked hard for its bread though..

On an r6 yes, on a ybr it will look pretty but little real benefit in ultimate stopping power and feel.

Why do you say its on the way out, my TDR still has its original hoses, their 28years old. Hasn't exactly worked hard for its bread though..

Well the bikes used every day as transport in all weather. I notice that the line has a noticeable wear mark where one of the clips seems to have eaten at it, there's a gouge in the rubber, I most definitely feel more comfortable spending £15 or so on a new line than using an old one that has a chunk missing from it.

In my opinion regardless of the size of your bike braided brake lines are a fantastic upgrade to the feel and power of your brakes. 

It would be the first thing I would upgrade on any bike I owned. 

Hope this helps

• Like 2

Just bought a set for the FJR, much bigger bike I know but they have a really positive feel to them, my test if they need changing or not is to get a mate to use the brake while you check out the ends of the lines, if they bulge, even a little bit, then change them, some folks of course ride gently so spongy brakes are ok I suppose, but I have been known to stand the thing on it's nose when not paying enough attention. :shrug:

Just bought a set for the FJR, much bigger bike I know but they have a really positive feel to them, my test if they need changing or not is to get a mate to use the brake while you check out the ends of the lines, if they bulge, even a little bit, then change them, some folks of course ride gently so spongy brakes are ok I suppose, but I have been known to stand the thing on it's nose when not paying enough attention. :shrug:

I've only managed to stand the bike on its nose once during a poorly executed emergency stop, fucking terrifying, don't plan on doing that again any time soon, not with the POS bike I have now.

Everyone seems to sing the praises of braided lines, it's only £5 more than standard lines, so I think I'll give it a go, if I ever get it back on the road, with the amount of small problems I've managed to find recently I question if it ever will be.

Edited by Variomatic
  • Like 1

At least you'll know it's not the brakeline !  For the full benefit clean and lube the brake and bang in a new seal/piston set .

I had to rebuild my bikes the ghetto way, using the old seals and the same pot (after some serious cleaning). It works, doesn't leak, it seems to be reliable so far, but the brakes are getting new seals and pots (well, pot, singular) as soon as I have the money for a rebuild kit (Yep, I'm so tight on cash I can't even spend £18 on a rebuild kit, gotta love being a student)

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online