MT-09 Throttle response

Malleus
This post is 3069 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Just wondering what peoples opinions are on this really - Some people consider the throttle to be over response if in 1st/2nd gear at around 18-30mph -  I remember this was mentioned in a few reviews when the MT-09 was released.

Suggestions I have seen to address this;

• Fit an after market fuel injection tuner thing - (probably a better description for this)
  • Fit a different sized/shaped cam on the throttle to extend the first 1/4 of opening
  • Check for/remove slack on throttle cable
  • Adjust the 'CO settings' to make the fuel mixture richer
  • Get the ECU reflashed by the dealer

I am fairly happy with the throttle response, I only began looking into when someone else mentioned it. With the cold weather yesterday and big gloves it was a bit 'snatchy.' But as my instructor always said, 'its user error not the bike!' (and he has been 100% right so far with all the issues I had!) Riding in the rain this morning in 'B' mode it was smooth as anything. 

Are there any MT-09 (2014) owners out there that have done any of these things?

Apologies if this has come up before I did a quick search but did not see anything.

Edited by Malleus

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Throttle response tends to get mentioned in most reviews I've seen on fuel injected bikes. It could be a fault with your bike, but most likely it's just that the gearing, power and responsiveness takes some getting used to. I know the first time I rode my street triple I was all over the place! 

I honestly wouldn't worry about it!

Throttle response tends to get mentioned in most reviews I've seen on fuel injected bikes. It could be a fault with your bike, but most likely it's just that the gearing, power and responsiveness takes some getting used to. I know the first time I rode my street triple I was all over the place! 

I honestly wouldn't worry about it!

It all stems from the same issues as the VW emissions scandal; in the hunt for compliance with emissions and noise regulations the manufacturers have to sacrifice elements of driveability to ensure homologation standards are met (or defeated in the case of all these over-complex turbodiesels).

A power commander will fix it, mainly because a power commander also defeats the restrictions that hamper performance.

I quite like the responsiveness, I assumed it was normal. Just others seem to think it was not - turning corners on 'A' and being a bit choppy on the throttle has led to a couple of brown moments as the front wheel decides it no longer wants to be on the road. :D Also had some complaints from a passenger who is used to driving a car, which made me look into it :lol: -  'Yes it is not as smooth if you are hanging on to me for dear life'

I don't think I would bother with a PC. But I was considering changing the CO settings, as I can easily revert them back with no effort or cost. 

Other than that I don't think I would bother to do anything. At least not until next year after spending more time with it so I know what my own ideal setup would be. Was just curious if anyone else had bothered with any of the suggestions listed

A power commander will fix it, mainly because a power commander also defeats the restrictions that hamper performance.

A shame really if manufacturers are losing performance/drivability just to pass emissions tests. 

This is why most manufacturers are moving to Fly bye wire ,throttles,, smoother ,,

Not sure how I feel about electronic throttle, though I would like to try it out.

Front wheel in the air = longer tyre life :D

You could try feathering the clutch a little, just until you get used to it, that's what I did with mine. I think the majority of people who find it a problem are those used to riding big carbed bikes. Theres A lot of people on youtube that moan about it lol.

• Like 2

Yea I think that was why I was kind of shocked, people just forked out for the bike and then decide the throttle is too much and immediately pay £500 + to put it on a dyno and get a PC fitted. I have been using the clutch more to take the bite out in some corners. - seems like a commons sense solution..

Thing is "  you"d  think the manufacturers would notice this on the test runs before production, .  and fix the bloody problem  before retailing the bike,  triumph are the same,  [ low speed fueling ] , or are the test riders dumb,,:eusa_snooty:

• Like 1

Thing is "  you"d  think the manufacturers would notice this on the test runs before production, .  and fix the bloody problem  before retailing the bike,  triumph are the same,  [ low speed fueling ] , or are the test riders dumb,,:eusa_snooty:

Maybe I am just cynical, but I assumed the bikes they give to reviewers to test on launch dates may be tuned slightly differently than normal production ones, maybe with less concern for emissions... *Now where did I leave my tin foil hat* 

• Like 2

I quite like the responsiveness, I assumed it was normal. Just others seem to think it was not - turning corners on 'A' and being a bit choppy on the throttle has led to a couple of brown moments as the front wheel decides it no longer wants to be on the road. :D Also had some complaints from a passenger who is used to driving a car, which made me look into it :lol: -  'Yes it is not as smooth if you are hanging on to me for dear life'

I don't think I would bother with a PC. But I was considering changing the CO settings, as I can easily revert them back with no effort or cost. 

Other than that I don't think I would bother to do anything. At least not until next year after spending more time with it so I know what my own ideal setup would be. Was just curious if anyone else had bothered with any of the suggestions listed

A shame really if manufacturers are losing performance/drivability just to pass emissions tests. 

Not sure how I feel about electronic throttle, though I would like to try it out.

It seems there is quite a lot of misunderstanding about CO adjustment across many yamaha forums - the CO adjustment is purely a fine tweak that can be applied at the end of the production line to get the CO level within homologation specs. You cannot really tune with it - trust me I have changed it just to see; at best you can just enrich idle a little bit, but you don't notice the effects with any throttle transition at all.

It seems there is quite a lot of misunderstanding about CO adjustment across many yamaha forums - the CO adjustment is purely a fine tweak that can be applied at the end of the production line to get the CO level within homologation specs. You cannot really tune with it - trust me I have changed it just to see; at best you can just enrich idle a little bit, but you don't notice the effects with any throttle transition at all.

Yea, I feel that it is the 'placebo effect' lots of people seem to think this has a big impact; 'smoothing the throttle' I also tried it out of curiosity and noticed no difference. Maybe smelt a bit different? But could have been my imagination. So after some time to dwell on this here are my thoughts on my original suggestions.

• Fit an after market fuel injection tuner - Most expensive, reversible, unsure how effective it would actually be at making the throttle smoother.
  • Fit a different sized/shaped cam on the throttle to extend the first 1/4 of opening - A cheaper, reversible and effective way to soften the throttle response
  • Check for/remove slack on throttle cable - Not really a solution unless this is the issue..
  • Adjust the 'CO settings' to make the fuel mixture richer - From a short test seems to have no real impact
  • Get the ECU reflashed by the dealer - Not tested, free within warranty but difficult/impossible to reverse.

And the number one solution -

You could try feathering the clutch a little, just until you get used to it, that's what I did with mine.

• Like 1

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online