YBR 125 No Spark

TNT
This post is 3225 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hope this is the correct place to put in my questions.

I am trying to get my mates YBR125 2008 back on the road. Stood in dry garage for about a year so thought it would be an easy fix. Wrong !!

Thoughts were to empty fuel tank of old fuel, clean carb out check plug and try to fire up.

This bike has fuel injection, engine management and other things that I would not have expected on a little 125 single.

Anyway, battery was flat so put on another one. New plug + cap but no spark. ( Plug cap screwed well into clean looking copper core ). Cut out switch on side stand checked and okay. Fuse checked and as many electrical connections as i could see. All were clean and bright. But no cut-off switch on handle bars ?

Ignition and neutral light comes on and it turns over but then an orange light comes on and flashes. This I gather is an engine management light as it has a symbol of an engine on it, or am I wrong ? It could be the ECU or coil at fault but does anyone know how to test these or have any other ideas of what might be wrong, please.

Regards,

Tim.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Does this help? https://youtu.be/_mZLcKtL_E4

Best I can do really without a bit more info to go on. Try reading this http://ybr125owner.blogspot.co.uk/2014/06/yamaha-ybr-125-fault-codes.html

Otherwise you need the manual to get all the info you need on how to fault find and fix your problem, some guy's on here have the YBR and may be able to help.

Hi Slice,

Had a look at the link you sent and now got something, at least, to check. Might point me to the fault then I can investigate further.

Will let you know the outcome and many thanks for your advise.

Regards,

Tim.

Hi Slice,

The fault code is 19, which it says is   'No signal from ignition to ECU'.

Have you or anyone else have any ideas what could cause this and also how to check or mend it, please.

Regards,

Tim.

Hi Tim, OK so it might just be a broken wire or connector, do you have a multimeter? If so then best to check each wire from the ignition to the ECU and see if you have a fault, might be an easy fix but till you check your not going to know. It's boring to do and can be fiddly but worth it if you find out what's wrong.

It might be that your ECU is damaged mate, can you find someone close who can test it for you or people like this guy can do it for you http://www.the-ecu-doctor.co.uk/

Otherwise do you know anyone who you can borrow one from for a few hours? Where abouts are you in the UK? Someone on here might know someone near to you.

Edited by slice

Hi Slice,

I do have a multi meter so will check wires as you have suggested. Don't know anyone around who might have an ECU to borrow. I live in Wakefield, West Yorkshire. I'm going to go down to the garage now and play around with wires, multi meters and beer !!

Will let you know what I find.Cheers.

People are unlikely to lend an ecu, there is no way to know if your bike has a particular issue that fried yours, if it is in fact faulty. That could fry the loaner.

You need to find out what the missing 'signal' is. My bet is the pick up signal is not getting through. Its certainly where I would start.

For that you really do need the manual mate.

For that you really do need the manual mate.

Do you mean a workshop manual ? I have been onto Carl Salters site, where I have got all my workshop manuals from, even the 1957 Sunbeam S8 !!

Guess what... No YBR 125 Manual.

Haynes manual from amazon..

Pick your year job done. Haynes manuals may not be top of the line but they get the job done.

Yeah as above really you need a Haynes of the right year to really understand how it works, most online manuals are ok but some miss bit's out. We're not allowed on this site to recommend or point you to sources of copyrighted material, Alex "the owner" of this site will get pissy if we do and the owners of the material will sue us as well.

Yeah as above really you need a Haynes of the right year to really understand how it works, most online manuals are ok but some miss bit's out. We're not allowed on this site to recommend or point you to sources of copyrighted material, Alex "the owner" of this site will get pissy if we do and the owners of the material will sue us as well.

I did not get chance last night to check all the wire connections so I am going to do it tonight. If I don't find anything I will take both your advice and invest in a Haynes manual.

Will let you both know if I find the problem

You are aware you could cause damage to the fuel injection/ignition system on a modern bike randomly zapping the electrics with a meter.

Get the manual first, you will not know whats right or wrong otherwise.

You are aware you could cause damage to the fuel injection/ignition system on a modern bike randomly zapping the electrics with a meter.

Get the manual first, you will not know whats right or wrong otherwise.

Hi Cynic.

With the battery been dead for so long do you think that might have unset the ECU ? Some cars do that if the battery is taken off so the ECU has to be re-set ?  Also, if it was the ignition switch not sending input to the ECU why would it still be turning the engine over ?

Regards,

Tim.

"No signal from ignition to ecu."

That wont mean power from the 'ignition switch'. That is a throwback to the days of a keyed starter button. Then switching the ignition. Litteraly connecting power to the ignition coil.

On a modern vehicle the "ignition signal" will be the pulse output from the pick up coil on the crank. The engine is cranking and will expect to receive a signal that correlates with the corresponding engine speed to give a reference point on the fuel/ignition map. The ecu will then use this to calculate the quantities of fuel (injector duration and start point) and the ignition pulse to the primary coil to start the engine.

If there is no signal from the sensor/pick up coil nothing can happen. No spark or fuel. Welcome to modern engines (blurgh).

• Like 1

Spot on Cynic nice description, this is why on (modern) engines you need the manual, you can't guess it cos it has to be right.

Haynes manual from amazon..

Pick your year job done. Haynes manuals may not be top of the line but they get the job done.

Hi Cynic.

Been looking for manuals. The Haynes YBR 125 manual also seems to cover the XT/R 125 bike. Do you know if both bikes have the same engine ?

Regards,

Tim.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online