Petrol smell - normal?

captf
This post is 3238 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Having moved home to South Manchester, I managed to also get a place with a garage [yay! be able to do repairs/maintenance and stay dry!].

With this, I've found that the bike smells rather strongly of petrol for a bike after using it.
Being relatively new to bikes, I have no idea if this is normal, or cause for any concern.

There's no spillage on the ground, and the smell's gone by the morning. Hell, it's gone after a few hours.
But it does limit the use of the garage for anything else, as it's a bit "blergh!" to be in for any length of time with no real ventilation.

The XJ6 is fuel injection, so there's no valve to turn off after use. I have heard that the breather hose can be the cause of this though.

So lads and ladettes. Anything I should be looking at, a symptom of something to worry about, or is it a "Completely normal"?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Even injected bikes can over fuel your bike Capt, best to get a Yam dealer to check it tho as they are a bit complicated to setup. Other than that you might have a slight over pressure from your pump, that would mean you could get fuel still flowing for a few minutes after you switch off, try reading this http://www.ebay.co.uk/gds/How-to-Diagnose-Motorcycle-Fuel-System-Problems-/10000000177633451/g.html might give you an insight to any small problems, hope that helps mate, sorry about the reading your going to have to do tho !

Edited by slice

Cheers Slice, shall have a read.

The smell doesn't take too long to dissipate, fortunately. I'm guessing it's unburnt fuel *somewhere*

Probably in the exhaust mate, have a sniff when you next get back from a run on the bike, don't forget to turn the engine off :D

Injectors might have a small leak, have you checked the seals that they rest in? Quite high pressures on injectors so even a little hole can let fuel out, look to see if you have marks from below the injectors where the fuel (if any) is running down, just a case of checking everything till you spot the problem really. Good luck Captf.

There is a stain mark down the left side, that I had originally attributed to oil. But when that wasn't dropping I stopped paying attention to it [Bad, capt!]

It had seemed to be dried in [cleaning did nothing], but could be related.
It's location is [if you look at this image] to the right of the engine, on the left of the plastic bit below the gear shift rod

Yeah it could be mate, but you can only say it's not when you've had it apart and had a look. Petrol usually leaves an oily white residue behind, can be mistaken for Ali feathering like you get when Ali is left out in all weathers and get's a sort of rust for want of a better word, sure there's a word for it but can't remember it ! Good hunting mate.

Well, they finally made a Haynes Manual for the XJ6, so if I feel brave, I'll have an attempt at getting my hands dirty and looking deep.

Well, beginning to think it may not be petrol, but oil that I'm smelling.
Oil level *seems* fine, but the idiot light did blip on briefly the other day.

And for extra fun, I think I need to check my sparks. Feels like it's only firing on 3.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online