Yamaha sr250 no spark

Jetscrazy87
This post is 2947 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hey guys i replaced the complete stator and pickup coil assembly and now i have a beautiful bright blue spark! Now i put some fuel into the carb and tried to fire it up, but im not having any success. I did open the carb up and clean it when i picked the bike up but it doesn't want to start.  I shot a little ether in the cylinder and it fired off ran for a second then shut off as i suspected it would. Any suggestions?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

suspect the carb, check using airline for blockages and float height

glad you got the spark sorted.

Yeh "they"re crap  " esp on a 2 stroke",.  remove it , and restrict the back of the carb, , almost completely [ strong tape.]  or even someones hand,

it will then pick up fuel and fire, B) ,, find a stock airbox/ filter etc

Edited by blackhat250
  • Like 1

Thanks guys its running great now.  I have a couple of leaks in my tank so now i need to address that. Any ideas. Thanks for all the advice guys! I promise a few pictures when its done.

need to use a tank liner, POR15  seems to be the most ethanol proof

• 2 weeks later...

Update...so since installing the new stator and pickup coil the bike has been running great.  Since then, I have started to finish up the bike.  Today my new sprockets and chain came in the mail, so I reassembled the rear and routed all the electrics to how I wanted them.  I didn't make any splices or changes since getting it running in fear something might not work again, well guess what something isn't working again!  The major sign of my problem is no spark and loss of neutral light again...I am praying nothing major is wrong, but how could it be? NOTHING has changed!  Only electrical changes made were new ground wire and new positive wire from the battery to the solenoid and elongated the started wire to the solenoid.  Lets take a step back to the issue prior...same symptoms, no spark, no neutral light.  its clear the two are related, so my question is this...is there any way possible that something is frying the pick up coil/solenoid? or do you think its just a faulty neutral switch?  The only reason I slightly doubt the neutral switch is that the instant I put that new stator and pickup coil in the neutral light worked fine.  Any help would be amazing as I just spent another 100 dollars in parts to finish the bike and I am supposed to drop the tank off for repair Monday which is costing me a fortune. Hate to find out I'm wasting all my money. 

so yesterday was a lonnngg day, sorry if my last post seemed like i was crying a bit, but after all this work i've been doing all i wanted to do was fire it up at the end of the day being it was the first time it sat on two wheels in months!  Anyway, after a decent nights sleep I'm going to go back out to the garage and figure this out...my first thought is the neutral switch and here is why.  As long as i had the bike the neutral light never worked, then when i changed the stator the light came on. the resistance of the pick up coil on the new stator was the same as my old one. I have continuity from the switch to the headlight bucket and when i shift out of neutral i don't loose that continuity.  Previous owner before me had the bike under a tarp in the back yard sitting for a couple years. lastly when i pulled the old stator assembly out of the motor there was a seal and i lost a lot of oil, im wondering if when i pulled that assembly out i made the neutral switch unstick?  I'm going to pull the neutral switch in a little bit and clean it up and put it back. I can't find a new one, if anyone knows where i can find one please let me know. it'll suck to find out i spent 75 bucks on this new stator assembly and the whole time it was just the neutral switch. thanks fellas!

Edited by Jetscrazy87

ok so i figured it out...i mixed up the plugs, there is one that goes from the stator to the rectifier and then from the rectifier to the head light bucket. they have identical plug ends and in my tired stooper i mixed them up.  When i went out there this morning i traced it back and picked up on it right away.  Swapped the plugs and everything works as it should.  My wife callled it, she said i bet its something stupid and you're tired, go back out in the morning and you'll find it...sure as can be she was right.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

As promised here is a picture of my ALMOST complete sr250.  I still need to repair and paint the gas tank, button up the last few solder connections for the taillight, and install the headlight and LED flasher relay and install side mirrors. Hope you guys like it.

sr250.jpg

• 4 months later...

Hey guys it been a while. So I'm back at it with the Sr after a long winter. Charged up the battery and tried to fire it up the other day and it won't run.  There was no fuel in the carb while sitting and just for good measure I still took the carb off and cleaned it. Everything looked good except my diaphragm has a small wear mark on it.  Thinking I'm gonna have to replace that...anyway, I have spark but it's acting like it isn't getting any fuel. I have fuel in the bowl the needle valve is working but it just keeps turning over but not firing. I currently have no air filter or anything on the carb...am I getting to much air or should it start anyway? Also will the diaphragm make it not run? Any advice is appreciated! it does have the stock 34mm cv carb.

have you sprayed easi start in the carb mouth whilst turning over?

if the engine starts then its def the carb

So i covered the intake on the carb and choked the carb and flooded it. After that it fired up, but died out as soon as I opened the up the throttle. I guess the pod filter is going to be a problem...looks like I'm going to rejet the carb.