XVS125 - some questions

dan_xvs
This post is 3266 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi all,

Newbie here, I have wanted to learn to ride for years and only just got around to it. I know nothing about bikes, but I used to do a bit of work on cars. I took the front wheel off to change the front disc (the bolts needed an impact driver to remove), and then got a bit carried away and removed most parts of the bike. I am keen to spray paint the frame and get rid of some of the rust. The previous owner had hacked a few bits away as the bike has been customised into a bobber. When removing a few parts I had a few questions I was hoping you guys could help with.

Here she is as I bought her:

4_zpsia2mxjpk.jpg

I fitted some whitewall tyres and gave her a service:

2015-10-02%2011.13.07_zpsqmajrbai.jpg

I was taking off the front wheel, and went a bit further:

DSC_0005_zpsvkmfhwyx.jpg

DSC_0033_zps2qr3x7qf.jpg

Firstly, the rectifier was in the battery compartment, but had melted through the outer skin and was only working intermittently, causing stalling/bad running issues. I eventually managed to cut it out today. Is it normal for it to be mounted in the battery compartment this way if it gets that hot? I fitted a replacement and it seemed to run a lot better which is great, but I am not sure where to mount it when I put things back together. I will try and get a second hand battery compartment. Is it normal for the rectifiers to fail in this way?

DSC_0020_zps58u5oqgf.jpg

DSC_0022_zpsfve1wifv.jpg

DSC_0028_zpsknbkvjx5.jpg

I want to paint the engine and framework that I can reach. The previous owner has cut away various bits and pieces in stripping back for the bobber look. The airbox is gone and replaced with a cone filter on the carb - is this a good idea or am I better off putting an airbox assembly back on to avoid sucking in hot air? Each cylinder has four bolts going down through the top which mounts some brackets to the cylinders, I went to remove them to get rid of the hacked up brackets, but the bolts looked like they had oil on them and went a long way into each cylinder, so I did them back up. Is it safe to remove them completely then re-insert or will that mess up the engine?

DSC_0031_zpsawxbswu0.jpg

I'm thinking of stripping rust and old paint with the wiring and engine still in-situ. Simoniz Tough Black with an etch primer (or just Hammerite satin?) for the frame and engine, both satin and gloss finish for different parts. I am also thinking of relocating the rear indicators, replacing the number plate and tail/stop light, replacing the headlamp and front indicators. Maybe also getting an old-style registration and pressed silver/black plate. I would like to fab a new rear mudguard/fender which sits close to the rear wheel, rather than the small plastic one on there at the moment. But I have no idea where to start with fab work as I don't have any tools/experience. Thinking of getting a premade fender and cutting it down and mounting with B&Q hardware. Also thinking of a new exhaust/slip ons (thinking a short exhaust rather than the massive long pipes on there at the moment. Can I fit those myself relatively easily if they are universal cans? Any advice on any of these items and on the paint choice?

As a newb I'm welcome to any advice/guidance! 

Edited by dan_xvs

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

If my memory is correct, the reg/rect sits lower down that, in line with the battery but lower somewhere. Wherever you mount it, try to keep it out of the road muck and shite/wet, and away from heat.

I also think that the 4 bolts ate the cylinder head bolts, there may be another 4 lower down the head nearer to you. They need to be undone/retightened in the correct sequence and to the correct torque

Oops, too late for that.

That may have cocked up the gasket seal.

Take a look at the chain too. It looks like the spring clip is on the wrong way around. The rounded/closed end of the clip MUST I say MUST face the direction of travel

There are a number of good paints out there to do what you want, if its engine paint then heat resistant, each have their own supporters.

I have to say, youre taking on a lot of work, that may cost you substantially more than the bikes clearly worth. Aftermarket exhaust arent cheap, paintwork and preperation are awkward and painstaking, and Ive nver understood why new riders the first they do is tear the bike down. Get it running as it is, (if its safe to do so, so of these bobber fellows are bodgers), get some miles under your belt, learn how the bikes run/handle/roadcraft. 

Then get rid and get something better :)

OOh, and whatever you do, remember that the stock pipes and tank are made from Unobtainium, so be careful what you do to them

Edited by neversaydie
Forgot

Take a look at the chain too. It looks like the spring clip is on the wrong way around. The rounded/closed end of the clip MUST I say MUST face the direction of travel

Well spotted Ray, you're quite right. see it as a fish and fit it in a way that the fish is swimming forwards

Thanks Ray for that info!

About the bike and making changes etc, I know what you mean. I have a couple of cars and I see the bike as something to be tinkered with as a hobby really. I will probably look into a Harley Sportster or XVS950 next year when I have my full license, but it's unlikely I will want to do this amount of work to that bike (they will be nearly new I imagine), so this 125 is just a hobby. I'll probably just keep it or give it to a friend/family member when I come to upgrade, it's not really worth anything. I would definitely say that the person that modded this bike was a young lad with a hacksaw and a socket set, a lot of the work is a bit dodgy if I'm honest. Reminds me of my MK2 Astra modding back in the day! So this is more a learning exercise over winter whilst it's too cold for me to bother going out riding. I've got a 2011 Mini Cooper Works daily and a 987 Boxster S for poncing about in anyway. Pretty much wrote off the cost of the bike when I got it, it's so cheap it's not a big deal if I blow it up or break it (in comparison to the cars at least).

Good spot on the spring clip! I will have a look at that tomorrow. I expect there are loads of things like that which are probably an issue on the bike and I wouldn't know - so I'll keep posting pictures in case you guys spot something ha ha.

I only undid two of the bolts and only one of them enough to actually start lifting it out, probably about 2-3cm before putting it back in. Would that have caused any major issues? They both creaked loudly when I undid them :( I do have a torque wrench so can remove and retighten properly if necessary.

I am grateful for your advice and the points you make. I reckon in the region of £200-250 for parts and paint etc. and then my time playing around with it, so it's (just) OK to pass off to the missus...!

Edited by dan_xvs
  • Like 1

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online