Xj900 ignition coils

Weldspec
This post is 3257 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi

Im after some advice on coils for my xj900 1983 . Should both coils have battery voltage feed going to them .I seem to have battery voltage feeding coil 2 which has good spark supplying pots 2 and 3 but have a lot less voltage on coil 1 and the spark is poor to pots 1 and 4 . All resistance readings from from lead caps and leads are good . New spark plugs gapped correctly and resistance from pick up coils  to ignitor are good . One thing I did notice is I've lost neutral light of instruments . Bulb ok so would a dodgy neutral switch stop the bike from firing up 

Thanks in advance 

Alistair 

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

yes you need 12v supply to both coils, TCi returns to earth to complete the circuit

checked connections and earthing/fuses?

• Like 1

That's what I thought .All fuses fine but frame has been powder coated so will check earthing points for a clean contact . Thanks for the reply further investigations ahead. 

Does the faulty neutral switch have any relevance to the bike not starting do you think 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hello

I'm quite new at this. Not bikes perhaps, but posting replies in a forum;)

Yes a faulty neutral switch may prevent starting, as a security measure. Wiring may differ between models and countries, but sidestand, clutch or neutral switch is used on XJ900

Hope this helps,

Regards, Ronny