Error Code 33/34 flashing

RaSn
This post is 3278 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hey guys, new here, trying to help a friend as he is trying to sort this bike out. The other day he was pulled out on in London and his vfr8 was a little ruined so he is trying to sort this XJ6n out which he has had for a while.

To cut a long story short, he acquired the bike from a friend after the owner sadly passed away but there were no keys. So we went thru the process of removing the ecu ignition and immob and sent it off to moto matrix. It came back today with a black key (no transponder) cut for the lock and a red and a black key, both transponders which weren't cut. (I have no idea why moto matrix didn't cut them as of yet). We did the oil change, emptied the tank put on a new battery as the bike is 4 years old but has only done about 300 mile when it was new and then parked up due to the owners unfortunate path in life. Put everything back on the bike, from mounting the airbox, fitting the ecu, ignition, new battery, refitting the headlight/frame/clocks, pretty much everything back on the bike, put in some fresh adv esso petrol and had a go at firing it up.

A note came back with the ecu and keys etc saying we must use the red key first and follow a procedure to programme the black key however as none of them are cut, I had to use the sapre black key that was cut and hold the red key next to it (upside down) so the immob accepted the key was indeed there and the bike fired up.

5 seconds later, the engine cut off and we see error code 33 flashing to 34 back and forth and the bike simply will not start. We were able to successfully programme the other black key I might add as it no longer complains and acts exactly like the red one.

Reading and googling I am a bit concerned now because error code 33/34 are both the same except I believe they refer to cyliders 1/4 and 2/3 :

Fault Code: 33
Diagnostic Code: 30
Symptom: Open circuit is detected in the primary lead of the ignition coil (# 1, #4).
Probable cause of malfunction:

Open circuit inin wiring harness
Malfunction in ignition coil.
Malfunction in ECU.
Malfunction in a component of ignition cut-off circuit system.
Fault Code: 34
Diagnostic Code: 31
Symptom: Open circuit is detected in the primary lead of the ignition coil

(# 2, #3).
Probable cause of malfunction:
Open circuit in wiring harness
Malfunction in ignition coil.
Malfunction in ECU.
Malfunction in a component of ignition cut-off circuit system.

As I have said to my friend, it is possible we have fitted something wrong or missed something, the company may have botched the ecu although I read this is very unlikely or the bike already had a problem but I am far from a bike mechanic to know much more than what I have written here. so....

1. Open circuit in wiring harness
2. Malfunction in ignition coil.
3. Malfunction in ECU.
4. Malfunction in a component of ignition cut-off circuit system.

I am a little unsure of exactly what #1 means but sounds like something isn't quite plugged in or something is shorting out. I dare say we may well have missed something. Where would this likely to be ?

I am not entirely happy with how I had to fit the airbox onto the top of the air intakes as it seemed too much like squash it down and hope for the best. If this is relevant, I don't know but thought I would say it.

Could the ignition coil need replacing and is it possible to test/check it ?

I have no idea what is possible with the ecu. It's just a black sealed box and I did check that non of the pins were bent and the big plug was seated well.

I am also lost on #4

Anyhow, when it fired up for all of a few seconds, it sounded very fresh, no strange noises, ticked over well (above 1k) as it was obviously cold.

If anyone can offer any help, it is truly appreciated.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

In the owner manual, the one supplied at purchase, there is a page that has all the error codes listed and the usual means of diagnosing the fault and the remedy. If you don't have the book then you should go to your local Yam dealer and get it on their diagnostic machine, that will tell you what the problem is and they can fix it right there. You can't do any more till you either have the owners manual or take it in, All the info you have supplied tells you exactly what's wrong, if you don't want to believe it then there's noting anyone can say. No one on here can tell you how to fix it that's something you have to do yourself. Take the master key and get it cut then take your ECU and coils off the bike, send them or take them to be tested, there is a way to test your coils at home but truth to tell if your ECU is gone then no matter how often you check them it ain't going to run till the fault on the ECU is sorted.

Hi. It's not that I don't believe what's wrong, I want to understand it more and maybe find out how to test the coils if that's possible or consider anything else before ploughing money into trying to fix it especially in this con-artist world. Thanks for the reply :)

Try something like this.   https://youtu.be/iVH83g9DUK8   It's a bit long winded but tells you alll you ned to know on how to test a coil, you could of course stick your tongue on the end of the wire and push the starter button ! Don't know what that would do but would be fun to watch SOMEONE ELSE doing it. :lol:

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online