dt 125 engine rattle

zykezz
This post is 2831 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hey, as Blackhat and Cynic recommended i had a cylinder rebore and a new wiseco piston + a new bearing. Now the problem is that at 7500 rpms there is a rattle (metalic klicking) in the engine in any gear and it starts at the same time, all the time, strange thing is that i had this rattle with the old piston but it was not that loud. I am guessing this rattle comes from the powervalve, but i cant find the cause. I opend the valvesystem and the the piston is not touching the valve as was my first guess + i did grind it to fit the new piston before i assembled the engine. So does anybody have an idea what could it be. 

Oh and forgot that the rattle starts when there is need for torque like uphills and riding in dirt with high gear. :wacko:

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Sounds like pinking to me but that is a bit oldskool for a 99dt unless someone has messed with the timing at some point. Might be advisable to get it checked.

• Like 1

Maybe i should change the main jet for a bigger one ?

Cynic that is a strong possibility because i have the original 240 jet in it .

Edited by zykezz

Pre ignition has little to do with the jetting, if you hadn't rebuilt the top end I would have said that you need a decoke but that doesent apply.

Pinking is caused by the ignition firing to early, an engine sparks and starts the burn while the piston is still on the up stroke and is timed so the bang expands as its pushing the piston down. What happens with pinking is the burn starts early and the piston is rattling in the bore trying to push against the burn. Will rapidly wear out your engine.

Check your ig timing, (something I rarely suggest).

• 9 months later...

Hello, long time no reply, sorry for that had much to do :( 

Things i have done on the bike but still rattles and has some new anomalies like cutting out and stuttering above 8500 rpm.

Checked the ignition, it was spot on

New crank seals and KOYO bearings 

new carburetor, from china that actually works and fits directly  - http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Super-Performance-OKO-KOSO-PWK-Carburetor-CARB-Motorcycle-RACING-PARTS-Scooters-dirt-bike-ATV-28mm-30mm/32372691367.html?spm=2114.13010608.0.56.wjhFwD - does the same thing with both carbs and with all jet sizes .

new airfilter, new sparkplugs , new ignition coil 

Bike starts fine and revs really good to 11k rpm if its on neutral but if driving the rattle starts at about 7500 - 9000 rpm and along side it stutters.

Im running out of ideas what to check and change.

i can make a video of it on friday, if it helps.

With regards.

Zykezz 

• 3 weeks later...

Hello, got to the bottom of my problems, took the cylinder off and found a surprise as you can see on the photo. The strange thing was that the piston had no damage on it and the engine started really good. 

Could i buy a new piston and re-bore the cylinder because there is a wössner piston up to +2.5 so the new bore would be 58.5mm or i would have to find a new cylinder ? 

The current bore is 57.25mm in diameter

20160717_152636.jpg

oops, can see lubrication/heat issues too with the scoring either side of that badly damaged port.

Can't see how the piston is undamaged unless it was like this when re assembled.

Not sure how useable that barrel is, the top of the exhaust port has an important part to play in the way a 2 stroke runs.

I think I might be looking for another barrel.

Have to agree with Cynic that looks cracked and too far out to be any use.

• Like 1

Thanks guys, well i guess its back to work and make some money then, to buy a new cylinder and a piston, any of you guys know where can i get one and sends to Estonia. 

or might a re-sleeving be an option

You can resleeve 4 strokes, done that, but not sure about smokers tho!

Hello, i searched the internet  and the re-sleeving would not be an option be cause it would be to expensive.

i found a cylinder and a head on the internet that is marked 4BL  but i have 3MB will the 4BL fit my bike with the head that comes with it  ?

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online