FJR1300

dougindoors
This post is 3293 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Simple answer is yes BUT it's a right bastard, much easier to remove the engine and do it as then you have access to all the gubbins. Are you a member of the FJ/FJR owners club? if not then join and Doc or Ernie at the club will help out with ANY questions you might have, they only work on FJ's and FJR's so know them inside out.

Club address  http://www.fjclub.co.uk/

cheers for that Slice. I was a member back in 2007 but sold my 1992 FJ1200, now I have this I may re-join. I bought it off a friend who as you might say has been ripped off by a bike shop, the cam chain tensioner failed, they suggested have that done first with a new chain @ £500.00 before they stripped the engine, you guessed it right no compression. it was quite obvious when I looked in the cam cover many of the valve buckets were not in contact with the cams, many bent valves. I have just put a cover over it for now, saving it for winters eves. 

• Like 1

Hi Doug, Oh my what rotten bastards to sell a bike like that then leave the poor sod to deal with it, if you want my advice I would just get a new/replacement head and scrap the old one, your never going to be sure what other damage that kind of thing can do I mean valve stems are usually oval once that happens, you can knock them out but again do you want to? A descent second hand head should not cost much more than a couple of hundred and as long as it comes with vale gear and cam shafts then your golden and half the work is already done.

I have bought another head, but sadly the mating surface has damage, so I'll use the valves and check the run out ont the valves in the guides if they are bad I'll renew them with bronze ones, as the stems are only 6mm they prob bend like plastic. Lol once I finish this nasty h hornet I'll be back in touch, do you know any one that fancies a gen 1 vmax?

VMAX !! Oh lord, leave your brain at home and order your coffin, if I see anyone who looks like they are suicidal I will give them your details. :lol:

They are not that bad, 148 bhp compared with the fjr @145!!! all the rumours of bad handling are a Mith, just don't ride as a sports bike, a friend of mine is 60 and there are no chicken strips in his rear tyre, unlike mine lol. so much hipe  bout them they only go as fast as u turn the right grip, but I must say fun at 6k and great for the short of leg, a real nice ride will miss Maxine.

Edited by dougindoors

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online