Fatter front wheel & tyre for the classic look?

125's Enough!
This post is 3111 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I'm utterly delighted with my new Yamaha XVS 125 Drag Star. Visually, it fits my bill and I can ride it legally here in Poland until senility sets it. My Harley-owning neighbour couldn't believe it was a 125. What's not to like? Well, to my tastes, the front wheel's too large in diameter and too narrow in the rim. Looking at the 650 Drag Stars - there's the base version, with an 18" front wheel and a 110/90-18 tyre, and the Classic, which has same 16" wheels front and back and 130/90-16 tyre in the front. 

Now, my 125 Drag Star has a 130/90-15 tyre at the back, while in the front there's an 80/100-18 tyre. I read somewhere here that that's a big difference in widths between the two. Visually, it looks chopperish rather than cruiserish.

What's stopping me (other than the mudguard) from fitting a 15" front wheel with a 130/90-15 tyre on it, so I'd have the same front and back, classic cruiser style? Or if that's too radical, how about a 110/90-15 up front? And whitewalls would look good too :-)

Thanks for the feedback (anytime between now and the winter lay-up would be good!)

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

you may upset the handling, the front does need to be thinner than the rear so it can steer the bike.

A lot of bikes run a 110/130 setup, it's only if you go stupid size jumps that it cocks up the steering tho any change from stock will affect the ride cos it's built with the standard sizes in mind not the ones your thinking of, if you over cook it then drop back a size, cost you a set of wheels and tyres but if they are new(ish) then you can usually get some or all your money back.

tirecomparison%20003.jpg2rxv4vo.jpg 100vs110

Or this perhaps?gunbus.jpg

Edited by slice

Width of the rim dictates tyre shape,  imagine squeezing  the wide tyre onto narrow rim, the tyre becomes pointed [ high in middle]  instead of round,  affecting turn in on corners,,

A lot of the older Harleys (1960s, 1970s, etc) that one would consider 'classic' actually have quite thin wheels. In fact, as a whole your 125 Dragstar makes those things look anorexic!

IMO, the only reason to change something fundamental to the normal operation of a bike is 'because I want to' rather than seeking any improvement in performance, handling, etc... especially on a 125.

• Like 1

@ Ttaskmaster 

I'm more into 40s and 50s Harleys. Balloon tyres of equal size on equal rims front and back. I'd be going for a wider rim (to answer blackhat 250's point) with a wider, higher profile tyre on a smaller rim. And the right size mudguard to go with. I don't do leaning into corners; cruiser riding is about going slow in top gear, put-put-putting along. Stability from cross-winds is a more important factor. But above all, it's the visual thing - I want my Yamaha to be the nearest thing to a 1951 Harley Davidson Hydra Glide with a 125cc engine :-)

HD-1954-Hydra-LK-1.jpg

821720959_2_1080x720_xvs-125.jpg

Edited by 125's Enough!

The Sunbeam S7 was the first motorcycle I really, really liked visually. At the Science Museum in London in the 1960s. By the turbine-powered Rover Jet 1 and the Mini cut in half. 

Finished in mist green, with those balloon tyres, the S7 must have disappointed sportier riders - the S8 had narrower rims and regular tyres. But for me, the S7 is the nicer looking bike.

• Like 1

I don't do leaning into corners; cruiser riding is about going slow in top gear, put-put-putting along. Stability from cross-winds is a more important factor. But above all, it's the visual thing - I want my Yamaha to be the nearest thing to a 1951 Harley Davidson Hydra Glide with a 125cc engine :-)

Oh. Guess I was riding my Cruisers incorrectly for so many years, then...! :lol:
I'd have said lower speeds require a mid-gear at most, else you're barely above idle. Top gear is for making use of all that engine grunt and surprising people by just how fast a Cruiser can go... as well as scraping the pegs at 10mph, although that's mainly limited to narrow European roads, rather than something these things are designed around.

Crosswind stability is the same on most bikes, with the main factor being a relaxed rider who is prepared for sudden blasts.

But unless you're planning to stay on the 125 for a long time, I'd suggest keeping it fairly stock - A 125's resale value takes a hoof in the nuts once you start modding it. If you want a 1951 Harley Davidson Hydra Glide, it may well prove cheaper to just buy one rather than modding a 125 Draggie, except if that's an intentional project.

@ Ttaskmaster: "If you want a 1951 Harley Davidson Hydra Glide, it may well prove cheaper to just buy one rather than modding a 125 Draggie, except if that's an intentional project."

Except I won't be allowed to ride it, given its engine capacity is over 125cc :-)

Having fallen in love with this Dragstar, it will be a slow and careful job. Had a few anxious moments as I felt the narrow front wheel lose grip with assorted strips of anomalous material in the road - shiny tar, metal grids, damp gutters. Not sure an 80-width front tyre does the trick for me. Would feel more confident with a greater area of rubber in contact with the ground up-front.

My Derbi CrossCity 125 has a 100-width front tyre - it feels surer.

I'm starting to toy with the idea of buying a second 125 Dragstar to make over into something totally custom, solo, mini Hydra Glide replica, keeping this one for touring. :-)

Sorry chap but unless your going to stick 4 wheels on it then no matter how fat the tyres you fit you will still loose grip on certain ground.

I'm fully into the modifying of bikes and will certainly be checking in on your progress but heed the advice that the money you pump into a 125 can go towards a big bike and you really will never get that dosh back when the time comes to sell.

Good lucj 

Except I won't be allowed to ride it, given its engine capacity is over 125cc :-)

Can you not just do your full licence and then get one?

The Honda Shadow VT125 has a wider front tyre and a better engine, although doesn't look as good as the XVS

Why can't I "just do my full licence"?

After buying my first 125, I had all the ambition of doing a full Cat A course and test. So - this summer I went to a local driving school, which said fine, but you need a medical check. No problems - I'm super-healthy guy. Until I had to do the eye test covering up my right eye. I could not read the letters on the third line. FAIL. Polish regulations allow you to drive a car with one eye (as in the UK), but for a motorbike, bus or HGV licence you need two eyes of equal strength. I go to an optometrist. Turns out my right eye is 80% of full strength - my left eye a mere 5%. I get some driving glasses made up on prescription. This boosts my right eye to 100% - my left eye to 30%. Too big a difference to be allowed on a full-sized motorbike. So it's corrective surgery (replacing lens in left eye ARRRRGH!) or 125cc bikes for the rest of my life. I'm squeamish.

So once the season's over I'll be taking my Dragstar 125 in for a fatter front wheel.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online