78 xs500 rear wheel powdercoating

This post is 3191 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I'm doing a rebuild on a 78 xs500 and want to powdercoat the rims however the rear wheel has wheel studs with what looks like rubber bushings around them. I'm wondering if it's possible to remove these so they don't get damaged when in the oven.

1431560400761.jpg

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

some peeps have left them in ok.

you can get them (I had a set and sold them on) but they need destroying to remove

I just sprayed mine in PJ1 and they looked great

Most rubbers are ok at the temps for powder coating, as long as they are not left in to long of course, just found this:- Most powder coatings have a particle size in the range of 30 to 50 μm, a softening temperature Tg around 80 °C, a melting temperature around 150 °C, and are cured at around 200 °C. Which when you think about it is not much more than a descent home oven. Most ovens have rubbers inside to seal them so I suspect your rubbers will be ok as long as you don't leave them in for a week or two.