YBR125 replacement clutch

Volvomeg
This post is 3166 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Started my motorcycle training last week for my full licence,

Had a spare couple of hours other night so decided to go have a play on my little YBR doing some mod 1 stuff,

Just about managed 40 minutes before my clutch decided to disintegrate,

Do i just buy an EBC clutch kit from ebay or does anybody have any other recommendations,

Am quiet handy with a spanner so going to do it myself,

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Easy job and should take about 2 hours, just use what's handy, don't look for cheap get an EBC set they are pretty generic. Good luck.

Wow. Disintegrate. Are you sure. It might just need adjustment.

What did it do?

It just lost all drive to back wheel,

Did 5 or 6 continous figures of 8 then went for a ride round outside edge of carpark to let things cool down and got a couple of laps then noticed clutch starting to slip then it just lost all drive,

It accelerated away from cones ok but i didn't get mush warning before it lost drive,

Tried messing with cable but didn't make any differance, clutch lever has been quiet heavy since i got bike, usually a good sign in a car clutch is on its way out when pedal gets heavy,

Not took side off to have a look yet altho there is 2 kits for my year of bike, one with 5 plates and one with 4 so going to have to strip it to see which one it is before i order it

A bike clutch is very different to a car clutch, it has more in common with a formula 1 car than a Mondeo. I would still suspect the mechanism. I have never know total drive loss from a clutch pack, slip yes but not total loss. The way it works makes it nigh on imposible. Even more so seeing as its a YBR.

• Like 1

Well stripped side off bike tonight once i'd removed exhaust and rest pegs as i couldn't get cover off without,

Oil i had changed less than 300 miles ago can out like sludge and there is no linings left on clutch plates,

I have to say i don't do things by half,

Checked mechanism before i stripped clutch basket and it all worked ok

It does sound like it was badly adjusted, the only way you will burn your clutch out under normal circumstances is through revving it's nut's off while holding the clutch in. You were using MOTORCYCLE  oil weren't you? When you get it back together you had best make sure all the adjustments are right, check it twice and hope it don't happen again.

PS was your oil THICK or WHITE sludge? If it was white/grey in colour then you have water in the oil if it was thick like tar then you have the wrong oil.

Edited by slice

• 3 weeks later...

Yup it had proper motorcycle oil in it as i had just changed it, not sure what it had in before though,

Lever has always been heavy since getting bike, as in hand ached after riding through middle of leeds on it on way to work,

Got new clutch,plates and gasket just need to get a break in rain to put it all back together, oh and some more new oil

Check your cable for "tightness" ie is it free moving when disconnected at both ends, sometimes the cable can wear through the lining and snag on the metal outer causing drag at the lever, just a thought cos it does sound like you clutch is not disengaging properly to cause that much wear in so short a time. Just a thought.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online