Any known regular xvs650 problems?

Dom1878
This post is 3194 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I've found a 1999 XVS650 classic for £1500 with 20,000 miles on it.

I remember someone posting on here about checking monoshocks after a certain distance. Is there any other specifics to look out for as it seems a bit cheap? Has FSH and is used daily.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Fantastic bike, bit heavy at low speed if your on the lighter side but not one of those twitchy things that can't filter through traffic.

Tout had his mono shock snap (i think, or might have been Tasky) but a good wash down and remove the mudguard and wash the shock once a year will keep that at bay.

Make sure she has new oil every year and be certain the sump plug is tight as they really don't like being run with no oil :eusa_whistle:

They do vibrate like fook at high speed so if you do want to thrap the tits off her now and then, check for any loose bits after/before each ride.

apart from that this (i my opinion) is a cracking bike and would buy another one in a heart beat. (then chop the fuck out if it :D)

Cheers sire. Might have a look into it. Chrome is a bit tatty but other than that looks ok, won't know until I can see it up close.

I think it was the "dog bones" that snapped on who ever's bike it was and not the shock itself so you will need to grease the bearings on a regular basis but as above supposed to be a cracking bike.

>Tout had his mono shock snap (i think, or might have been Tasky) but a good wash down and remove the mudguard and wash the shock once a year will keep that at bay.
It was mine and it snapped where the monoshock arm met the pivot part that holds the bearing, into which goes teh bolt that bolts it to the swingarm bracket.
It was also the Ttaskmistress's bike that went the same way, along with several other local Drag riders.
Cause was crap flining off the rear wheel, onto the part not covered by the rubber curtain, rusting the bearings solid.

Either way, it needed a whole new shock.
If you ride all year round, I suggest checking once every month or two and regular strip-down, re-lube.

>they really don't like being run with no oil :eusa_whistle:
Yeah, this too!

After replacing the monoshock with a swanky Hagon one, mine eventually chewed a big end bearing, which ripped up the filter/O-ring and pissed all the oil out at (ahem) speed, down the A329M. That finally killed it.

Chrome parts can be polished up, but watch the inside of the chrome covers, especially areas like heat shields - Road crap gets up behind those all too easy.

Replace brake lines with braided ones.
Prepare to replace control wire sleeves, as many go grey and brittle after too much sun.
Always always always make sure the oil filter O-ring and the groove it sits in is meticulously clean when changing filters.
Clean regularly.

Err... yeah, that's about it, I think. Nothing else above the usual. Look after it and it will look after you. 20K for £1.5k is a good deal, although the Custom model is always better! ;)

Wicked bike, great fun, seen me through many adventures in all weathers.

If you're coming to this from a 125 Drag, all the better!!
The power may take a bit of getting used to - You're only going from (IIRC) 12bhp to 40bhp, but that's still *more* than enough to get into trouble, especially at the lower rev end where all the torque is. It's also much easier to handle than the 125, with the weight planting you more solidly into corners.
Do remember you still only have one front disc and one rear drum for the braking.

You'll notice fuel costs a bit more, but you can still expect 120 miles before reserve at a good 48mpg, when riding with enthusiasm. You'll also notice the speedo goes past 90mph and your neck muscles will get bigger!

First few times you go through tunnels, you MUST pull the clutch in and rev the fuck out of it, though - it's just the done thing!!

Ride safe!!

• Like 1

Thanks for the tips!

I've got a nice long tunnel through the chalk hills on the A27 so that would be a good place to open her up. Think I may take a punt as the 125 will pay for it outright. Just hope there's no hidden nightmares.

Fingers crossed.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online