Anybody ever deristriced a 2002 DT 125 R Exhaust ?

Leftyno1
This post is 3265 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi  All

Was just wondering if anybody had cut open and removed the Baffle plates and wire wool from a 2002 DT 125 R exhaust , and if you had is there any advice or pics for me to follow if I have a go . I have heard that if done it is just as powerfull as any after market exhaust ? true or not.??

Cheers

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Just remember your not de restricting a 2002 dt. Your tuning it.

All the derestricting mumbo jumbo comes from the late 80's where manufacturers hadnt caught up with the 125 hp rule changes so their 25hp 125's needed urgent restricting to be legal.

By 2002 12.5hp was all you got. It wasnt restricted by then. You will get power gutting the pipe but not really worth it till you have an overall tuning plan.

if there's a tube in the neck of the exhaust remove it, other than that leave it alone, whats this about wire wool?

by 2002 yamaha had modified the way the PV pulley could be positioned on the PV, it could be fitted so the PV was unable to open fully but I assume yours isnt like that after 13 years have past

Edited by Airhead

When I was a MUCH younger young man I took the baffles out of my Honda, sounded great but forgot to retune it for no back pressure and burnt the pistons out in about 500 miles, so if you do this don't forget to allow for no back pressure in the exhaust and induction stroke of the bike or you to will be looking for a set of pistons and rings.

Thanks all, I am tuning it so far only taken reed link fuse out of speedo and left it dangling under clock bagged and taped up, but had read on a Tuners Site about the exhaust having 2 semi circular plates  and wire wool in large part of down pipe , hence the question, as on my old 2 strokes the only restriction was the baffle in the end section ,which i only removed to clean sometimes before reinstalling .

Hi AirHead the mumber on the exhaust is KHI K 141

Hi AirHead

Your right that number was off the Rear Tail Baffle section of Exhaust , which after checking up i found out is off a kawasaki 125 Dirt bike so hence your confusion . the downpipe is OEM Yamaha Part no 3RM-14610-00 ,sorry for confusion.

Hi AirHead, Actually found some pics on this site of a guy in 2012 (member name rcirjoescu )who had cut the baffle out on his 3RM-00 exhaust tryed to upload pics to show but there to big to do so, he says it inproved aceleration but top end the same but also improved sound of bike.

Sorry but your asking for trouble. 2strokes are a balance between the exhaust and the inlet.

Generally bad tuning makes bikes SOUND faster and go slower.

The biggest problem is if it goes wrong you cannot refit a good pipe. 

Hi Cynic get where your going but earlier exhaust had a small plate in neck which was a restrictor apparently, with the later exhaust they just moved it further in to make it harder to get at, still thinking about it to be honest ,still doing my homework on subject at moment all i have done is removed reed fuse from speedo ( left it dangling in a sealed bag and taped under speedo).

Not cutting till i am sure ,but thanks for input.

Thanks AirHead will take a look at Link.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online